This easy healthy turkey chili is the PERFECT addition to your football Sundays. It takes 30 minutes (TOTAL!) and it's packed with lots of protein making it the perfect easy meal!
If you know me, you know how much I love a good easy, cozy recipe. (If you haven't tried my easy curry or veggie ratatouille you need to ASAP.)This healthy turkey chili is the definition of an easy meal. All you need is 15 minutes (if that) of prep, and 15 minutes of cook time and you will have the PERFECT meal for a cozy winter night.
I love chili. It's SUCH a classic comfort food. A warm bowl of chili, spiced to perfection, loaded with toppings, served with a warm slice of toast. I truly cannot think of a more perfect meal for a cold Canadian winter night. For someone who has never been a huge meat eater like myself that may come as a shock. Chili is essentially just a bowl of meat and tomato sauce right? But not the way I make it! By adding tons of beans, some veggies and swapping out the protein sources for one that's a little bit more lean this is a chili that makes you feel good!
What ingredients do I need for Healthy Turkey Chili?
Ground Turkey- I use ground turkey because it's a great source of lean protein and we always have it on hand. However any type of ground meat will work (pork, beef, chicken, turkey). You could even try to add additional beans or vegetarian ground "meat" to make this more of a veggie turkey.
Spices- You can't have a good chili without ALLL the spices. For this recipe I use chili powder, cayenne powder and cumin. The amounts are totally up to you! Follow the recipe as is for my perfect level of spice or add a little less or a little more based on how spicy you like things!
Diced Tomatoes- FINALLY a recipe that uses a full can of tomato! All you need is one can of diced tomatoes (and all their juices) and this chili will be PERFECT.
Beans- For this chili I use three types of beans- kidney beans, black beans and white kidney beans. You can 100% customize this recipe with whatever beans you have on hand! Just make sure you stick with three cans of some type of beans or else the chili will get too watery. I have never personally tested this recipe using dried beans but if you try let me know how it turns out in the comments!
Toppings- The absolute best part! I have included some of my favourite toppings in the recipe below but this is where you can get creative. Add whatever your heart desires, the limit of toppings does not exist.
I don't have an Instant pot! Can I make I still make Turkey Chili?
Yes! Although the instant pot option is the OG variation (and the quicker one) you can 100% still make this easy healthy turkey chili without an instant pot. All you have to do is cook the turkey meat in a sauce pan on the stove separately. Then add everything into a big sauce pot, stir and bring it to a simmer. Allow the chili to simmer for 30-40 minutes to bring out all the flavour. Enjoy! See the 'stove top option' section of the recipe below for more details!
I always love seeing my recipes in action! If you make these don't forget to tag my on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or a leave a comment below letting me know how they turned out!
Easy Healthy Turkey Chili
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1 + ¼ cup chicken broth divided
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3-4 tbsp chili powder depends on how hot you like it!
- 2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes and their juices
- 1 cup of canned or frozen corn rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 oz) kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 oz) black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 oz) white kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- plain greek yogurt
- sliced green onions
- shredded cheese
- jalapeno, chopped
- avocado, sliced
- crushed tortilla chips
For instant pot option:
- Press the saute function on your instant pot and let it preheat until it says hot.
- Add oil to hot instant pot, add ground turkey and cook for about 5 minutes, using a spatula to break the meat into small pieces.
- Add ½ of the chicken broth to help de glaze the pot and leave meat in the pot!
- Press cancel, add the remaining broth, onion, garlic, pepper, corn, beans, canned tomatoes and spices and DO NOT STIR! ( this is important to avoid burning!)
- Close the lid, set vent to dealing position and press pressure cook on high or manual mode for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, carefully quick release the pressure.
- Serve with all the toppings!
For stove top option:
- To a large pot over medium heat add olive oil. Once oil is hot, add onions and garlic and saute until fragrant and onions begin to turn translucent in colour.
- Add turkey meat and cook until meat is no longer pink in colour. Once meat is cooked, add the remaining ingredients to the pot, stir, cover and allow to simmer for 30-40 minutes.