Spice up summer lunches with my Greek chicken tzatziki salad! Ready in under 30 minutes and packed with over 30g protein, it's a healthy addition to salads, wraps and snack plates.
When I was in Greece last year, tzatziki was the dip of choice. Made from fresh herbs, shredded cucumber and yogurt, it's the best light and creamy sauce for drizzling on everything- especially chicken.
My 4 ingredient chicken salad recipe had become such a staple in my routine, but I wanted to revamp it with Greek-inspired flair. This Greek chicken tzatziki salad is all you could ask for in a summer lunch: healthy, easy, and a delicious addition to any meal.
Why This Dietitian Loves This Recipe
Here's why you need to make this tzatziki chicken salad.
- Easy protein to add to meals. Protein can often be the most challenging part when building a balanced meal, so having a ready-made option like this chicken tzatziki salad is a gamechanger.
- 30 minutes or less. Yes, you can have this finished in 30 minutes including cooking the chicken. Or speed up the whole process with a store-bought rotisserie chicken!
- Meal prep friendly. Meal prep can get boring if you're eating the exact same thing day after day, but I'm a huge fan of this recipe because it can be served differently every time. Throw it in a salad, in a tortilla, eat it as a dip... switch it up to keep meals exciting!
For the chicken:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
For the tzatziki salad:
- Shredded chicken
- Tzatziki sauce
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Feta cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Coat the chicken in oil and rub with the garlic powder,salt, and pepper.
Place chicken in a large glass dish and bake for 20-25 minutes until it is completely cooked through but not dry.
Allow to cool slightly then shred with a stand mixer on high, with two forks, or by hand.
In a large bowl combine shredded chicken, tzatziki, yogurt, mayonnaise (if using), vegetables and spices. Stir to combine.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: This recipe is naturally gluten-free.
To make dairy-free: Use (or make) a dairy-free tzatziki sauce. Swap the Greek yogurt and feta cheese for dairy-free alternatives, or replace all Greek yogurt with mayonnaise.
To make vegan: Try out my southwest chickpea salad for a vegan option!
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free.
Missing an ingredient? Try these:
- Chopped vegetables: Swap for 2.5 cups of coleslaw mix for an easy, no prep option.
- Mayonnaise/Greek yogurt: These are relatively interchangeable, however using just one (instead of a mix) will slightly alter the taste.
- Italian seasoning: Swap for ½ tablespoon dried oregano and and ½ tablespoon dried basil.
Bonus flavor boosters:
- Swap the red onion for pickled red onion
- Add 1-2 tablespoon Greek salad dressing
- Add black olives
This chicken tzatziki salad will stay fresh for up to 4 days in the fridge if kept in an airtight container.
Use an electric mixer to shred your chicken. Place your cooked chicken breasts in the bowl of your mixer and use the paddle attachment to quickly shred your chicken with minimal mess. This is the fastest and easiest way to evenly shred a chicken perfectly for this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
So many ways! Here are my favorites:
- in a wrap or sandwich with some spinach and hummus
- on top of a Greek salad
- served with some pita and chopped veggies in an adult lunchable
Yes of course! Feel free to use any chicken of your choice, whether that be store-bought, leftovers, or freshly cooked.
Most grocery stores will have a tzatziki dip in the cold section close to where the hummus is stored. Brands such as Summer Fresh and President's choice are great options. You can also easily make your own with a recipe like this.
This tzatziki salad already has TONS of protein and some healthy fats, so all we're missing are fibre-rich carbohydrates and color. This could include fruits, veggies, whole wheat pita, and crackers!
More Meal Prep Recipes
- Egg Salad with Pickles
- 5-Ingredient Shredded Chicken Salad
- Southwest Smashed Chickpea Salad
- Mexican Tuna Salad
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this Greek chicken tzatziki salad , don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Greek Chicken Tzatziki Salad
- 1 lb shredded chicken instructions below
- ½ cup yogurt-based tzatziki sauce
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise or see notes below
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- ⅓ cup red onion diced
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning or ½ tablespoon dried oregano and ½ tablespoon dried basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Coat the chicken in oil and rub with the garlic powder,salt, and pepper. Place chicken in a large glass dish and bake for 20-25 minutes until it is completely cooked through but not dry. Allow to cool slightly then shred with a stand mixer on high, with two forks, or by hand.
- In a large bowl combine shredded chicken, tzatziki, yogurt, mayonnaise (if using), vegetables and spices. Stir to combine.