Pretty in pink, this beet pasta is the easiest dish to impress anyone this Valentine's day. Ready in under 30 minutes!
I'm so excited to share this pink pasta recipe with you because it will truly be the moment for Valentine's Day (or any day, really). Who doesn't love a vibrant pink pasta sauce? The colour is all in the beets.
Beets are a root vegetable with a vibrant pink-purple hue that comes from plant pigments called betalains.
They have a subtlety sweet flavour and are truly an under looked nutrient powerhouse. Not only are they packed with antioxidants, but they can improve heart health, blood pressure, and have anti-inflammatory properties.
Beets are also a source of folate, a nutrient important for energy metabolism! There is so much to love about this vegetable.
Anyway, I'm a big fan of this pink pasta sauce because it looks gorgeous and complicated, but it's actually a super simple recipe.
All you need is a blender and a can of beets (plus a couple other things) and you're set! I hope you give it a try- you won't be disappointed!
- Sliced beets
- Pine nuts
- Olive oil
- Basil leaves
- Mint leaves
- Pasta water
- Feta cheese (for topping)
Cook pasta according to package instructions. In a food processor or high powered blender, add all ingredients.
Blend until smooth and creamy.
Add beet sauce to a pan over low-medium heat to allow it to warm. Stir in reserved pasta water.
Add in your cooked pasta.
Stir until well combined.
Portion and top with crumbled feta cheese, fresh basil and chopped walnuts or pine nuts.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Use gluten-free pasta.
To make nut-free: Swap pine nuts for pumpkin seeds.
To make dairy-free: Swap parmesan for nutritional yeast, omit feta.
Missing an ingredient? Try these:
- Pine nuts: Pumpkin seeds or walnuts
- Pasta water: Oh no, did you forgot to reserve some pasta water? Don’t worry, you can use regular water- you may just want to add a touch of salt.
This beet pasta can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
If you have leftover pink pasta sauce, I love storing them in ice cube trays in the freezer. That way, you can easily whip up this beet pasta in even less time by microwaving the cubes or throwing them directly in the pot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You will just need to roast them first! 1 medium beet is typically equivalent to ¾ cup so you will need about 1-2 beets depending on the size!
Beets have a slightly sweet flavour, so this pasta does have some sweet undertones. With the pine nuts, feta and herbs, it's the perfect balance of fresh, salty and sweet!
More Pasta Night Recipes
- Comforting Spinach Sausage Pasta Bake
- One Pan Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Chicken and Tomato Pasta
- Creamy Vegan Red Pepper Pasta Sauce (Without Nuts)
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this beet pasta, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Super Creamy Beet Pasta Sauce
- 3 cups uncooked pasta
- 1 can sliced beets 375 g (about 1 heaping cup), drained
- ½ cup pine nuts
- Juice of 1 lemon about ¼ cup
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 3 fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- ½ cup pasta water
- Salt to taste
- Top with: feta cheese, fresh basil and chopped walnuts or pine nuts
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a food processor or high powered blender, add all ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add beet sauce to a pan over low-medium heat to allow it to warm. Stir in reserved pasta water.
- Add in your cooked pasta and stir.
- Portion and top with crumbled feta cheese, fresh basil and chopped walnuts or pine nuts.
Leave a Reply