All you need is 5 simple ingredients you'll have these amazing 5-minute vegan Snickers protein balls. A quick and easy snack packed with protein inspired by the candy bar we all know and love!
If you haven't been able to tell by now I love the chocolate/ peanut combination. It's just such a match made in heaven you get the subtle saltiness of the peanut with the rich sweetness of the chocolate UGH it's so good!
That's why I created these 5-minute vegan Snickers protein balls. Their made with a peanut butter base paired with the chocolatey sweetness of cocoa powder and chocolate protein powder, brought together with the crunch of chopped peanuts.
They're a WIN in my books and hopefully they will be a win for you too!
BONUS: They're also refined sugar free AND gluten free if that fits with your lifestyle!
How can I incorporate these vegan chocolate protein balls into my day?
My family is big on protein balls. They are my personal favourite go-to snack. Protein balls are actually one of the very first "healthier" recipes I remember making when I was younger. My mom would always have them on hand. She would just combine her favourite nuts and seeds with a nut butter and liquid sweetener of choice.. so easy!
Protein balls are so versatile and can be so customizable, you pretty much are guaranteed to be able to make the recipe work with whatever you have in your cupboards! For these 5-minute vegan Snickers protein balls I decided to stick with a little bit more of a theme but really you just need nut butter, honey/maple syrup and some type of ingredient (oats, protein powder, nuts/seeds) to soak up the moisture.
They're such a great snack for those times you're hungry between meals but don't feel like making a whole snack (or are too HANGRY to think about what to make). I love knowing I have some prepped in the fridge before a busy week.
Of course protein balls are meant to be taken with you on-the-go for a great energy and protein packed balanced snack (and they're great for that)! But sometimes I just want my snacks to have a little more to it.
My favourite ways to eat protein balls:
- Crumbled as a topping on oats or yogurt
- Paired with my favourite fruit for a great balanced snack
- As part of a snack box or snack plate
What ingredients do I need for 5-minute Snickers protein balls?
Nut butter- For these 5-minute vegan Snickers protein balls I used peanut butter as my protein ball base! If you are allergic to peanuts you can substitute this with another nut butter they just may lose their snickers taste (but that's to be expected)! I typically use natural peanut butter (look for one with the only ingredients being peanuts and salt).
Liquid sweetener- For this recipe I decided to use maple syrup because it provides a subtle caramel flavour similar to a real Snickers bar. Just make sure you are using real maple syrup as the flavour is different than "pancake syrup." If you don't have maple syrup available feel free to substitute it with honey!
Protein- This helps give these protein balls the protein aspect haha! I like using my favourite protein (it's also vegan!). I use chocolate protein powder for these snickers protein balls to help enhance the chocolate aspect (in addition to adding a little sweetness). If you don’t have protein powder on hand you can substitute this for oat flour and a little more cocoa powder!
If you love these you NEED to try....
- Birthday cake protein balls
- 3-ingredient energy balls
- No-bake cookie dough balls
- Chocolate protein truffles
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these 5-minute Snickers protein balls don't forget to tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment below!
Vegan Snickers Protein Balls
- ½ cup peanut butter softened in the microwave *see below
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ cup chocolate protein powder *see above for my favourite
- ¼ cup peanuts chopped + more for sprinkling
- melted chocolate *optional, for drizzling
- In a small microwave safe bowl add peanut butter and microwave for 15 seconds. This helps soften the peanut butter to make it runnier!
- In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter, maple syrup, cocoa powder, protein powder and chopped peanuts.
- Roll into about 10 protein balls. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with additional chopped peanuts (I also like to sprinkle mine with a little added cocoa powder).
- Store in the fridge or freezer and enjoy!