The EASIEST air fryer pizza bites. Made with 3-ingredient dough, these bites are bursting with the cheesy, pizza goodness we all know and love.
If you know me you know there are two things I love the most when it comes to recipe development. Those things are 1. Air fryer recipes and 2. 3-ingredient yogurt dough. Both of these things make cooking amazingly tasty SO much easier. So when the inspiration to make pizza bites struck I knew I had to try making them int he air fryer with my 3-ingredient dough... and OMG they are such a hit you need them ASAP.
I think we all remember pizza pops. The notorious food common in so many of our childhoods. Well THESE air fryer pizza bites are packed with even more flavour and are bite sized (meaning you can eat more of them). These pizza bites hit all the marks, they're tasty, packed with flavour, super easy to make and require minimal ingredients. PLUS as an added bonus they are completely homemade meaning you can feeling good knowing all the ingredients, and showing off your amazing cooking skills to your friends or family.
What is Yogurt Dough and What Makes it so Great?
I first discovered yogurt dough about two years ago when I was developing the recipe for these life changing cinnamon buns and I fell in love instantly. It's now my secret weapon to making complicated recipes, SO much easier and in so much less time. Yogurt dough requires no yeast and the yogurt acts as a leavening agent helping to create rise in your breads without waiting hours for it to proof.
So what is yogurt dough? It's a 3-ingredient dough made up of all purpose flour, plain yogurt and baking powder. It's an amazing substitute for many classic bread based dishes like pizza, bagels, cinnamon buns and buns! Another reason so many people have fallen in love with it is because it can be gluten free! Instead of using regular all-purpose flour just substitute 1:1 gluten free flour and the recipes should always work the same.
What Ingredients do I need for Air Fryer Pizza Bites?
Yogurt (duh): For my 3-ingredient dough I have only ever used plain greek yogurt so I can’t comment on how alternatives would work- I do know people have had success with coconut yogurt as a vegan alternative though it may slightly alter the ratio of flour to yogurt! If you end up testing an alternative- comment how it worked!
Flour: I used good ole’ all-purpose flour because it’s cost efficient and we always have it on hand (meaning cinnamon buns everyday). I have also been told gluten free 1:1 flour works as well though I haven’t tested it!
Baking Powder: this is important! Don’t forget to mix the baking powder with the flour BEFORE adding the yogurt, this helps create a self rising flour to make sure the buns rise!
Spices- To make my yogurt dough extra flavourful (and to make these pizza bites AMAZING) I add a few spices like oregano, basil and garlic powder and the combination together is out of this world.
Tomato Sauce- Any pizza or tomato sauce will do! Try to choose one that's a little thicker just to help it stay in the dough pockets a little bit more.
Cheese- I used plain cheddar cheese! However vegan cheeses and mozzarella cheese also works!
An air fryer- I know this isn't an ingredient but I like to promote my air fryer as much as I can because I love it so much lol. If you don't have an air fryer feel free to bake these in the oven!!
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action if you make these air fryer pizza bites don't forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @nourishedbynic or leave a comment below!
Air Fryer Yogurt Dough Pizza Bites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup cheese shredded
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and spices.
- Add yogurt to flour mixture and mix until well combined (see notes below if your dough is too wet or too dry).
- Once your dough is well combine, sprinkle flour on a flat surface and roll out your dough into a large rectangle (the dough should be about ¼ inch thick).
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut your dough into equal sized rectangles (recipe should make about 10 pizza bites).
- Spread an equal amount of sauce and cheese (and additional toppings) into the middle of each rectangle (avoid adding sauce or cheese around the edges of the dough to help make it easier to close them up!).
- Gently fold the rectangle in half width wise and pinch together the edges of the dough with your fingers to close up the pizza bites.
- Preheat air fryer (or oven) to 350°F, and prepare the basket by spraying it with a non stick cooking spray.
- Place pizza bites in an even layer in your airfryer (you may need to do two batches!) and lightly spray the top with non stick olive oil cooking spray to help get them crispy, bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, flipping halfway.
- Dip in extra tomato sauce and enjoy!