Egg nests are the perfect breakfast for anyone on the go! Shredded sweet potato tossed with a mix of spices and cheese, topped with a freshly cracked egg and baked to perfection. Serve with avocado and sriracha sauce or eat alone for a perfect grab-and-go breakfast.
I love these because they are the perfect make-ahead breakfast option. These egg nests have all the components of a healthy breakfast including healthy fats, fibre and protein! I can't think of anything better to help power you through those busy mornings.
If you know me you know I am all about the quick and easy recipes. Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and I hate to skip it. Unfortunately, I'm not someone who has their life together every morning ( but who is?). That just means make ahead, grab-and-go breakfasts are a staple in my weekly routine. I'll prep a batch of these on Sunday night and have them ready to go for the week.
If you're craving something a little sweeter you can also try these oatmeal cookie cups!
What Ingredients do I need For These Egg Nests?
Eggs- This recipe calls for 6 eggs! You can also easily double the recipe if you are looking to make a few more cups.
Spices- If you haven't already caught on, cumin is my favourite spice. I love the flavour cumin brings to these egg cups. The cumin, garlic powder and touch of chili powder mix perfectly with the sweet potato. Feel free to adjust the spices to your liking.
Cheese- I love using a strong cheese such as a sharp cheddar for these egg cups. I find the sharpness of the cheese is a great compliment to the spices and the egg.
Sweet Potato- You can't have sweet potato egg nests with sweet potatoes! I love this recipe because you don't even need to bake the potatoes. Just shred them and your ready to go.
I love seeing you make my recipes! Be sure to tag me on Instagram @nourishedbynic or leave a comment here letting me know how it was 🙂
Sweet Potato Egg Nests
- 2 +½ cups sweet potatoes shredded
- 2 teaspoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup cheese shredded
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 medium-large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and spray a muffin pan with cooking oil
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded sweet potatoes with the olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper
- Press about ⅓ cup of the shredded sweet potato mixture into the bottom and sides of each muffin cup (creating a nest shape)
- Bake the nests for about 18-25 minutes, or until they begin to brown
- Once the nests are baked, remove from the oven and crack an egg into each nest. Place them back into the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes. The cook time will depend on how well done you like your eggs cooked (10 mins= a runnier egg, 15 mins= hard boiled)
- Remove from the oven and let the nests cool for a few minutes. I like the serve mine with avocado, green onions and hot sauce!