Mason jar omelettes are the perfect microwave breakfast for a busy week. Fully customizable, packed with protein and veggies and ready in just 3 minutes. These are the perfect start to the day!
Why you need these meal prep eggs
As a content creator and dietitian, one of my main goals is to make eating healthy nutritious meals as easy and accessible as possible. I truly believe that eating doesn't need to be overcomplicated or time consuming. Although I know weekday mornings can be BUSY I will always try to create easy breakfast recipes perfect for meal prep to help ease those busy days!
Hence why I LOVE these meal prep scramble eggs jars!
- They are the perfect make ahead recipe- All you need is 5 minutes of prep time and 3 minutes the morning of and you ahve the PERFECT easy microwave breakfast.
- They make an easy balanced meal- We have eggs for protein, vegetables for colour and fibre, cheese for some fat. Just pair these meal prep omelettes with some toast and you are good to go with a meal that will actually keep you full and satisfied!
- They are perfect for the whole family. Get the entire family involved in morning breakfast prep. If you want to make this a fun family activity, chop up the toppings and allow everyone to customize their own mason jar omelettes!
Ingredients needed for meal prep omelettes
One of the best parts about this recipe is how customizable they are! Just like your favourite omelette these meal prep omelette jars can be made using whatever you want! Try adding in your favourite vegetables, sauces, cheeses, meats, etc. the possibilities are ENDLESS. If you need some inspiration, I've included my favourite flavour ideas below.
Eggs- I personally make all of my omelettes with two eggs. I find this is what keeps me full and satisfied, while also providing me with protein and healthy fats. However you can use a combination of whole eggs and egg whites or even just egg whites if that is what you prefer.
Veggies- This is where the fun starts! Get creative. Use what you have on hand and make these meal prep scrambled egg jars as the perfect clean out the fridge meal OR recreate your favourite classic diner omelette flavours.
Cheese- Once again the choice is yours! I personally love shredded cheddar or marble cheese in my meal prep eggs however use any cheese you love!
Mason jars- For mason jar omelettes, you will need at least one mason jar! I recommend at least 8 oz jars, like these! Just make sure they are GLASS and that they are MICROWAVE SAFE!
My favourite mason jar omelettes mix-ins
- Cheddar cheese, red bell peppers, spinach, zucchini, salsa and yellow onion
- Tomato, feta cheese, and spinach
- Mushroom, spinach and mozarella cheese
- Bacon and Gruyere cheese
- Ham, cheddar cheese, red and green bell peppers and yellow onions
- Shredded chicken (cooked), spinach, feta cheese and sundried tomatoes
How to make this microwave breakfast
These are the perfect make ahead breakfast for busy weeks! The possibilities are endless so it;s also a breakfast you won't get sick of in 2 days.
Grab your toppings and your mason jars and let's get started!
Step 1: Spray your mason jars with non stick cooking spray (this makes clean up MUCH easier).
Step 2: Load up your mason jars with about ½ cup to ¾ cup of your prepared toppings. I recommend dicing you vegetables up (as you would with a normal omelette), shredded your cheese and cooking all meat ahead of time (do not add it RAW into the jar).
Step 3: Add the lids and store your mason jars filled with the toppings in the fridge until you need them (they should last up to 5 days, depending on your toppings).
Step 4: The morning of, crack two eggs into the jars and shake to mix everything together. Remove the lid and microwave for approximately 3 minutes. Be careful when removing the jar from the microwave as it will be HOT.
Note: as all microwaves are different PLEASE check the eggs at 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Cook until you desired consistency is reached (it may need to be up to 4 minutes).
Frequently asked questions
Can I store the vegetables with the eggs already cracked in them?
I would recommend against it! Although you can mix in the eggs at the time of preparing the toppings, it will stay fresher for a much shorter period of time. If you decide to do this I would recommend cooking within two days.
Can I make these ahead of time and just reheat it?
Yes you absolutely can. For the best taste and texture I would recommend consuming your meal prep eggs within 3 days! To reheat just pop the mason jar back into the microwave (WITHOUT the lid) and microwave for about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
Do I have to use a microwave?
No you don't need to use a microwave for these meal prep scrambled eggs! You actually have 3 options to cook these eggs.
Microwave- Follow the instructions written in the recipe as is (microwave for about 3 minutes)
Oven- Bake the mason jars at 350F for 25-30 minutes (without the lid)** make sure you mason jars are oven safe
Stovetop- Pour the contents of your mason jar omelettes into a greased pan and cook your omellete or scrambled eggs as is!
How can I make this a balanced meal?
As you are getting protein and some fibre from the eggs and vegetables, I would just recommend pairing your meal prep omelette with 1-2 slices of whole wheat toast for some additional fibre and carbohydrates to help keep you feeling full longer!
How long do these last in the fridge?
If you store the toppings separate from the eggs, these mason jar omelettes should stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days!
More easy meal prep breakfast ideas
If you're someone that's always short on time in the mornings you need to try more of my favourite meal prep breakfast ideas:
- Apple cinnamon overnight oats
- Freezer breakfast burritos
- Zucchini chocolate baked oats
- Sweet potato egg cups
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these easy mason jar omelettes, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram -@nourishedbynic or leave a comment below how they turned out!
Mason Jar Omelettes
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup toppings of choice see above for ideas (ie. diced veggies, ham , shredded cheese)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Lightly spray an 8 oz glass mason jar with cooking spray (make sure the jar is microwave safe).
- Add your mix-ins into the jar. Cover with the lid and place in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- When you are ready to cook, crack both eggs into your mason jar, top with the lid and shake until eggs and toppings are fully mixed.
- Remove the lid and microwave on high for approximately 3 minutes. *note; as all microwaves are different please check your eggs at 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Eggs may need up to 4 minutes to cook. CAREFULLY remove from microwave once eggs are fully cooked and enjoy!