Packed with vegetables and turkey sausage, this egg and cheese burrito recipe is about to be your new favourite breakfast. All you need is 30 minutes and you'll have breakfast ready for the entire week.
The healthy frozen burritos you NEED this week:
I love a good batch meal. Only needing to cook once and stocking my freezer with portioned meals I can just grab and reheat is my favourite kind of meal. Which is why I love this egg and cheese burrito recipe. They not only answer the 'I have no time for breakfast' problem but they also are SO good they can really be eaten for any meal of the day.
If you need more convincing.... here are three more reasons why I love these turkey sausage breakfast burritos.
- They're the perfect balanced meal. Whole wheat wraps for fiber, lots of fresh veggies, and eggs for protein all wrapped up into a little burrito and tied with a bow (not literally). But you honestly can't get better than that! These are seriously the best healthy frozen burritos I've tried!
- They are so easy to make. Seriously. All you need is 30 minutes (max) of prep time and you will have FIVE burritos ready to go. So go turn on your favourite sitcom, grab your ingredients and make these to set you up for meal time success the entire workweek.
- They are totally customizable! Don't like peppers? No problem swap them for another veggie.... don't like sausage? Leave it out or add in some steak or other protein of choice.... seriously feel free to make these healthy frozen burritos your own!
- Bonus: They can be made in the air fryer!! We all know I love a good air fryer recipe. Not only are air fryers convenient they are also perfect for students. The fact that these an be air fryer frozen burritos is quite possibly the best part of the recipe! (See below for how to reheat your burrito in the air fryer)
Ingredients needed for these turkey sausage breakfast burritos
I love these air fryer frozen burritos because they are SO customizable. If you don't like a certain ingredient feel free to swap it for something else!
Tortillas- Choose any tortillas you want! I find the 10-inch ones to be the perfect size for these healthy frozen burritos. I typically go for a whole wheat tortilla for some added fiber however choose whatever makes you happy- white, whole wheat, spinach, I even recently saw these high protein ones from Superstore!
Eggs- I personally think the eggs are the star of the show in these egg and cheese burritos, however if you want to leave them out you totally can! You could even try making these with just egg whites if that fits your lifestyle better.
Sausage- I love using turkey sausage for these burritos, however any sausages will work! I know it can be slightly inconvenient but for the BEST burritos (with the best flavor) buy a package of them and then remove the sausage meat from the casing! Another option is to use ground meat of your choice, or even a vegetarian ground meat substitute (like Yves ground round).
Cheese- Arguably the best part. I am a huge cheese lover so this is a non negotiable for me. I love using shredded cheddar or marble cheese!
Veggies- For these air fryer frozen burritos I used sweet bell peppers, yellow onion and spinach! However get creative- shredded zucchini would also be great in these.
Salsa- For flavour! Look for a lower sugar and lower sodium option as sauces can be a sneaky place for added sugars. To avoid a soggy burrito avoid using a watery salsa and instead choose a chunky, vegetable or bean packed salsa!
Spices- Ground cumin, salt, black pepper and chili powder are the perfect spices to bring these burritos a bit of kick!
So I know the air fryer isn't technically an ingredient it's one of my favourite kitchen gadgets and I'd highly recommend investing if you don't already have one!
How to make air fryer frozen burritos
Step 1: For these turkey sausage breakfast burritos, I like to remove the sausage meat from the casing. So to start you are going to want to slice each sausage lengthwise to break the casing. In a large skillet pan heat a little cooking oil over medium-high heat. Once hot add the meat from each sausage casing and cook until fully cooked through, stirring frequently (meat will burn a light brown color). Pour the cooked meat onto a plate and set aside.
Step 2: Next we are going to make your veggies. To the same pan you cooked your sausages in, add a little more oil as well as your diced peppers, onions and spices, cook over medium heat. Stir frequently. Cook for about 5 minutes, until your pepper begin to soften and your onions appear transluscent. Once done, push the vegetables to the outer edges of the pan using a spatula.
Step 3: It's egg time! Whisk your eggs together in a medium sized bowl and pour into the center of the pan containing the vegetables. Try to cook the eggs without getting too many vegetables mixed in (if you get a few don't worry)! Use your spatula to gently push around the eggs periodically until they start to fluff up and the liquid dissapears.
Step 4: Once your eggs are cooked mix the eggs in with the rest of the vegetables, add in your chopped spinach, your sausage, your salsa and your cheese and cook for about 2 minutes (until the spinach wilts).
Step 5: Add about ½ cup of filling into the center of all five tortillas (if you have extra divide it evenly) and wrap your burritos.
Step 6: FLASH freeze time! To get the best experience from these air fryer frozen burritos- I recommend freezing them as soon as possible. So grab a large tupperware container or casserole dish, layer your burritos inside and place them in the freezer. Note: this is not how they will be stored forever so don't worry if they aren't air tight or there is no lid!
Step 7: Once your burritos are frozen, transfer them to an airtight container, wrap them individually in tin foil or place them in a large air tight freezer bag and store them for up to three months.
To reheat your egg and cheese burrito-
When it's time to enjoy one of your healthy frozen burritos you have three options.
- Option one: microwave. For best results I recommend using the defrost setting on your microwave for about 3-5 minutes to ensure the burrito is fully thawed before microwaving on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Option two: oven. This is by far the slowest option and I wouldn't personally recommend it because it defeats the purpose of meal prepping BUT it can be done. All you need to do is, preheat your oven to 425F, place your burrito on a cookie sheet and bake for about 35- 40 minutes.
- Option three: air fryer (my personal favourite). To reheat the burrito using the air fryer simply preheat your air fryer to 375F and cook for 12-16 minutes (every air fryer is different so after 12 minutes WATCH your burrito to ensure it doesn't burn). Although this may not be the fastest method, I do find it gets the most crispy and tastes the freshest so personally I think this air fryer frozen burrito is worth the wait!
More easy meal prep ideas
If you loved these healthy frozen burritos you need to try these:
For sweet breakfast lovers:
- cheesecake overnight oats
- banana bread oat cups
- blueberry crumble baked oats
- zucchini brownie baked oats
For savoury breakfast lovers:
Or check out my entire archive dedicated to my favourite meal prep recipes!
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this egg and cheese burrito recipe don't forget to tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment below!
Egg and Cheese Burrito
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 6 (about 188g) turkey breakfast sausages
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 4 medium eggs whisked
- 2 cups spinach loosely chopped
- ¼ cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 5 10 inch flour tortillas
- Start by removing the sausage meat from the casing. Slice each sausage lengthwise and add the meat to a medium sized bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add half of the olive oil (½ tbsp). Once hot, add your sausage meat and cook for about 7 minutes (stirring frequently). Once your meat is fully cooked, pour it onto a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining olive oil (½ tbsp) along with the peppers, onions and spices. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the peppers begin to soften and the onions begin to turn translucent. Once cooked, use a spatula to push the vegetables to the outer edges of the skillet (leaving an open circle in the middle of the skillet).
- Add your whisked eggs into the center of the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes, using a spatula to gently stir periodically until the eggs become light and fluffy and all liquid is gone. Try to avoid mixing the vegetables in with the eggs, however if a few stray veggies mix in it's ok!
- Once the eggs are cooked, add in your cooked sausage, cheese salsa and spinach and mix everything together. Place a lid on the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes or until the spinach wilts!
- Add about ½ a cup of filling onto the center of each of the five tortillas. Roll your burritos by first folding the tortilla up from the bottom, then fold in the sides, and then finish rolling the burrito up until it has closed.
- Layer your burritos in a large tupperware container or casserole dish and immediately place in the freezer to flash freeze them (not this is not how they will be stored long term so don't worry if they aren't air tight or if there is no lid).
- Once your burritos are frozen completely, transfer them to an airtight container, a sealed freezer bag or individually wrap them in tinfoil and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Microwave- Use the microwave's defrost setting for about 5 minutes, then microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Oven- Bake at 425° for 35-40 minutes.
- Air fryer- Air fry at 375° F for about 12-16 minutes.
reheat burrito air fryer