Crispy, high in protein and ready in just 30 minutes, these air fryer buffalo chicken tenders are my nourishing version for your favourite comfort food. You won't even believe that they're also gluten-free!
Chicken tenders have got to be one of the most underrated protein sources. They're quick, convenient, and super delicious! As much as I love the ease of whipping some out from the freezer, I wanted to try and create a super nourishing version with ingredients you probably already have. There is something SO satisfying and special about re-creating one of your favourite meals at home. I also made this recipe gluten-free so everyone with dietary restrictions can enjoy it- I promise it's just as delicious!
These air fryer buffalo chicken tenders may be from scratch, but I promise they're super easy to make. All it takes is 30 minutes and you'll have the most delicious protein addition to any meal. You can add it to salads, in a crispy chicken caesar wrap, in buffalo chicken rice bowls... the most versatile way to spice up ANY meal!
Join me in the kitchen and let's get started!
- Corn flakes
- Garlic and onion powder
- Chicken breast filets
- Buffalo sauce
- BBQ sauce
Preheat your air fryer to 400F
In a food processor or high powered blender, add the cornflakes and pulse until you have crumbs small enough to be used as breading. You can also place your cornflakes in a large Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to break them down.
Gently rub your chicken with garlic and onion powder.
In a medium bowl, crack your eggs and whisk. Add cornflake crumbs to a separate bowl.
Dip chicken in egg and then coat with the cornflake crumbs, gently pressing the cornflake crumbs into the chicken to ensure they stick. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
Arrange chicken in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Be careful not to overcrowd your air fryer (this step may need to be done in batches). Bake for about 12 minutes, flipping your chicken half way.*
Chicken is done when it is crispy and no longer pink inside.
Please note all air fryers are different. Cook times may vary based on your air fryer and how thick your chicken is.
While your chicken is cooking, whisk together buffalo and barbeque sauce (adjust to taste preference).
Once the chicken is finished, dip in the sauce mixture and enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Thanks to Cornflakes, these chicken tenders are already gluten-free!
To make dairy-free: Use a dairy-free buffalo sauce like this one.
Once you have the base, the sauce can be customized to your liking. If you prefer spice, add more buffalo sauce. If you want to keep things mild, add more BBQ sauce. As long as the two sauces are 1.5 cups together, you can make adjustments to your preference.
These air fryer buffalo chicken tenders can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, I recommend placing them in the air fryer at 400F for around 7 minutes, or until crispy. Alternatively, you can put them in the oven at 400F for around 15 minutes.
My biggest tip for crispy chicken tenders is to avoid overcrowding your air fryer! I recommend making your chicken in batches, as overcrowding will prevent the air circulation that leads to optimal crisp. The more full your air fryer is, the less crispy the chicken will get.
Frequently Asked Questions
I've been a big fan of Stubbs original barbeque sauce. Many of the lower sugar options I've tried have had a weird artificial taste, but not this one!
Primal Kitchen is one of my favourites! I also really like the Frank's Buffalo Wings Sauce, although I do find it to be spicier.
No! If you want a regular ‘naked’ chicken tender or you're making these for a picky eater, feel free to eat them plain. Alternatively, you could serve with your favourite dipping sauce! I love pairing these buffalo chicken tenders with my garlic and herb cottage cheese dip.
Yes, you absolutely can. I find that they don’t get quite as crispy, but they're just as yummy! Bake at 425F for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway.
More Easy Meal Ideas
- Air Fryer Buffalo Tofu
- The Best Cottage Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Rice Bowls
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these air fryer buffalo chicken tenders, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 lb chicken breast filets
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 cups buffalo sauce
- ½ cup low sugar barbeque sauce
- Preheat your air fryer to 400F.
- In a food processor or high powered blender, add the cornflakes and pulse until you have crumbs small enough to be used as breading (you can also place your cornflakes in a large ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to break them down).
- Gently rub your chicken with garlic and onion powder.
- In a medium bowl, crack your eggs and whisk. Add cornflake crumbs to a separate bowl. Dip chicken in egg and then coat with the cornflake crumbs, gently pressing the cornflake crumbs into the chicken to ensure they stick! Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Be careful not to overcrowd you airfyer (this step may need to be done in batches). Bake for about 12 minutes, flipping your chicken half way.* Chicken is done when it is crispy and no longer pink inside.
- While your chicken is cooking, whisk together buffalo and barbeque sauce (adjust to taste preference). Once the chicken is cooked, dip in the sauce mixture and enjoy!
Leave a Reply