Perfectly cooked in 30 minutes and bursting with flavor, these air fryer chicken fajitas are the perfect easy weeknight dinner.
I know I'm not the only one that is always on the hunt for quick and easy weeknight dinners. recently my go-tos have been my 30-minute egg roll in a bowl, and my 15-minute peanut noodles. But sometimes I'm craving something a little fresher and packed with vegetables.
For this recipe, I was inspired by the Fajita Frenzy recipe in the new COSORI 'Healthy Gourmet' recipe book but I added a little dietitian flair! By turning these fajitas into fajita bowls, you have the perfect veggie-packed weeknight meal.
Ready in just under 30 minutes, the whole family will love this nourishing dinner!
Why this recipe is dietitian approved
- Ready in under 30 minutes: With only 10 minutes of prep needed and 17 minutes of cook time, this is a hands-off dinner , making it great for busy nights.
- Easy balanced meal: I love a recipe that is made in one appliance and these air fryer chicken fajitas are made completely in the air fryer! Minimal clean up and minimal mess!
- Family-friendly recipe: This is a great recipe to get the entire family involved in! Give individuals to decide if they would prefer the filling on a tortilla or on a bowl and allow them to customize their toppings to their preference!
- Chicken- This recipe works best with boneless, skinless chicken breast which is a great lean-protein option!
- Red Onion- Try to use red onion if you can. Red onion provides a b it more of a stronger flavor which compliments the bell peppers perfectly when cooked.
- Bell Peppers- You may use any colour bell pepper you wish. Red and orange tend to be a bit sweeter, whereas yellow will have more of a mild flavour and green will be the most 'spicy' or earthy tasting.
- Zucchini - Green zucchini works best in this recipe.
- Oil - For some added healthy fats we use avocado oil as our oil of choice. If you prefer to use olive oil or another neutral cooking oil that is completely fine!
- Spices- You may use store-bought packaged fajita seasoning or make your own using ground cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and oregano (measurements are provided in the recipe card below).
- Lime- Fresh lime juice is always best for optimal flavor!
- For serving- For these fajitas you can choose to make classic fajitas using tortillas or create a fajita bowl using quinoa and lettuce as the base! Whatever option you decide I highly recommend topping with guacamole and some salsa!
The complete ingredient list with measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
COSORI TurboBlaze 6.0-Quart Air Fryer - It’s no secret that I love my air fryer. I love how quickly it cooks things to perfection-using minimal oil! Thanks to the dynamic DC Motor with 5-fan speeds and amazing temperature control, these air fryer chicken fajitas comes together in less than 30 minutes and the chicken is flavorful and so juicy. (Use the code NICOLE20 to save 20% on the TurboBlaze air fryer until February 5th).
Before you begin- place the crisper plate into the COSORI Air Fryer basket. Select the Preheat function, then press Start
Combine the chicken, bell peppers, zucchini, onion, fajita seasoning, and oil in a bowl and toss to combine.
Place the mixture onto the
preheated crisper plate.
Select the Air Fry function, adjust
temperature to 400°F and time to
17 minutes, then tap Start/Pause.
Stir the chicken and vegetables
halfway through cooking.
Remove the chicken and
vegetables when done, then
squeeze the juice of 1 lime over
the top. Serve on warmed tortillas or on a bed of quinoa and lettuce
with salsa, cilantro and guacamole.
- Chicken breast- Chicken can be replaced with 1 lb of sirloin steak. I have not tested this recipe using chicken thighs, though I'm sure it will work, the chicken thighs will be slightly harder to work with when cutting into strips.
- Zucchini- Zucchini is optional and can be replaced with any other vegetable of choice (or another bell pepper) if that is preferred.
- Vegetarian- Swap the chicken with tofu strips! Press a block of extra firm tofu and slice into strips before proceeding with the recipe as written.
- Gluten Free- The base of this recipe is naturally gluten-free. However if you are gluten- free please ensure the tortillas or toppings you use are certified gluten-free.
- Spicy- add 1 chopped jalapenos into the bowl containing the chicken red onions, zucchini and bell peppers.
- Cheesy- After the chicken and vegetables are cooked, top with shredded cheese and place the air fryer on the BROIL function for 3 minutes.
Classic fajitas- For a classic chicken fajita add the filling to a warmed soft tortilla and top with salsa a, guacamole and cilantro.
Fajita bowls- For a lighter twist on a chicken fajita create your own bowls by adding cooked quinoa and shredded romaine lettuce to a bowl. Top with filling ingredients and finish with a dollop of guacamole and salsa and a sprinkle of cilantro.
If you have leftovers- store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you would like to reheat them- use the COSORI TurboBlaze reheat function, setting the temperature to 400°F for 5 minutes.
I do not recommend freezing the leftovers as the peppers will get soggy once reheated.
Try not to overcrowd your air fryer! Overcrowding the air fryer basket can lead to uneven cooking. Place your chicken, peppers, zucchini and onions in an even layer on the crisper plate for best results!
Yes! These air fryer chicken fajitas make a great meal prep option! Just prep the filling ahead of time and construct your fajitas or bowls the day of! The filling will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Yes you can use a sheet pan if you would prefer to cook your fajitas in the oven. Spread your seasoned chicken and vegetables on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and bake in the oven at 400 F for about 35-40 minutes. Though please note as the oven does not have a crisper plate, the vegetables may be slightly more soggy after cooking if you choose this method!
This post was sponsored by COSORI, for more easy weeknight air fryer recipes check out the Healthy Gourmet E-book!
MORE EASY AIR FRYER RECIPES
Everyone loves an easy, convenient recipe!
- Air Fryer Spinach Dip
- Air Fryer Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
- Air Fryer Quesadilla
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked them!
Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1⁄2-inch-thick strips
- 2 medium bell peppers (any colour) sliced into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices
- 1 red onion sliced into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices
- 1 large zucchini sliced into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 lime
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6-inch tortillas
- cilantro finely chopped
- cooked quinoa
- romaine lettuce
- Place the crisper plate into the COSORI Air Fryer basket. Select the Preheat function and tap Start/Pause
- Combine the chicken, bell peppers, onion, zucchini, fajita seasoning, and oil in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Place the mixture onto the preheated crisper plate.
- Select the Air Fry function, adjust temperature to 400°F and time to 17 minutes, then tap Start/Pause.
- Stir the chicken and vegetables halfway through cooking.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables when done, then squeeze the juice of the lime over the top. Serve on warmed tortillas or on a bed of quinoa and lettucewith salsa, cilantro and guacamole.