This cottage cheese buffalo chicken dip is a delicious, high protein version of your favourite appetizer! It's easy, gluten free, and it uses NO cream cheese! It's the perfect addition to your game day or potluck spread.
Why you need this buffalo chicken dip air fryer recipe
Buffalo chicken dip is the absolute best part of football Sundays in my opinion. Ya the football is cool and all, but there is nothing better than cheesy, spicy buffalo chicken dip. I swear if you are ever looking for me at a party you know you'll find me near the buffalo chicken dip.
After I created the lightened up, higher protein version of my favourite spinach dip I knew the next dip I had to make was going to be a healthier buffalo chicken dip. Which is how I created this buffalo chicken dip with no cream cheese. It's the perfect higher protein, lower fat version of your favourite dip and it''s SO good.
Don't believe me? Here are four more reasons why you need this buffalo chicken dip air fryer recipe:
- It's the perfect high protein dip - We swapped out the traditional cream cheese for low fat cottage cheese in this buffalo dip! This gives it a huge protein boost while also decreasing the fat content- so it's a win-win! (plus theres some added veggies for an even bigger nutrition boost)!
- It's incredibly simple to make - This easy dip takes 5 minutes to throw together and 10 minutes to cook. It's the best last minute appetizer for any party!
- It's packed with flavour- I promise even though this is a lightened up buffalo chicken dip you are not sacrificing any flavour. This cottage cheese buffalo chicken dip is spicy, creamy and packed with the best spices!
- It's sure to be a crowd favourite- Make this for your next holiday party, gameday spread or potluck event and watch how many people fall in love.... youa re SURE to be the hit of any party!
Buffalo sauce- Any buffalo sauce will work for this buffalo chicken dip air fryer recipe! I personally use Franks buffalo wing sauce, however Primal Kitchen has an amazing dairy-free buffalo sauce as well! I do not recommend substituting buffalo sauce for normal Franks Red Hot sauce or any other hot sauce as the spice level will vary dramatically.
Chicken breasts- All you need for this high protein dip is one boneless, skinless chicken breast. If you would like to make a buffalo dip without chicken feel free to leave the chicken out!
Spices- Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper are the only spices you need for the most flavourful dip!
Red pepper- I added in some diced red bell pepper to this buffalo chicken dip to add in some vegetables and colour! If you want to leave this out, feel free!
Cheddar cheese- No buffalo chicken dip is complete without cheese! I personally love the taste of a classic orange cheddar in this dip.
Air fryer- This isn’t an ingredient but for this buffalo chicken dip air fryer recipe you will need an air fryer! I personally love this one! However any air fryer will work!
How to make buffalo chicken dip without cream cheese
Step one: Blend your cottage cheese with the buffalo sauce, spices and olive oil. I don't recommend skipping this step as your cottage cheese won't have the same creamy, smooth texture! I use either my high-powered blender, food processor or magic bullet ( it really just depends on what's on the counter).
Step two: Mix in your shredded chicken, green onions, cheese and red bell pepper using a spoon. My tips for the best shredded chicken are below!
Step three: Add your buffalo chicken dip to a greased oven safe dish and top with additional shredded cheese. Air fry for about 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
** the dish will be HOT when you remove it from the air fryer so be sure to use oven mitts. Top with additional sliced green onions and serve!
Can this buffalo chicken dip be made without an air fryer?
Yes! As with all of my air fryer recipes you can make this cottage cheese buffalo chicken dip in the oven! Although I always recommend using an air fryer if you have one (to save time and get that crispy cheesy top) an oven will work just fine.
I recommend baking your dip in the oven for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and broiling for about 2 minutes prior to removing (this helps ensure the cheese is nice and bubbly)!
Tips for the best shredded chicken breast
Step one: To make your chicken, first season your chicken breasts with some salt and pepper. Place your seasoned chicken breast into a shallow baking dish and bake for about 15-18 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Cooking time, depends on the thickness of the chicken so I always recommend using a cooking thermometer to know exactly when your chicken is fully cooked (the thickest part should because 165 degrees Fahrenheit). Another option is air frying your chicken breasts as well (try air frying at 360F for about 6 minutes per side).
Step two: Shred it up!- Once your chicken breast is fully cooked, allow them to cool for a few minutes then it's time for shredding. When I first discovered the stand mixer shredded chicken hack my life was changed. All you need to do is add your chicken breast into the bowl of your stand mixer, use the paddle attachment and turn your mixer to the 'high' setting. *note this can also be done using a handheld mixer in a large bowl, or even by just using two forks to pull apart your chicken.
Want to be the star of the party? Bring this buffalo chicken dip without cream cheese.
My favourite way to serve it is on a tray with various dippables: sliced pita, crackers, chopped veggies ( cucumber, carrots, red bell peppers, snap peas are all great options), and tortilla chips!
This high protein dip is also a great option as a spread in a wrap or Quesadilla!
Get creative I promise you will not be disappointed!
More easy appetizers:
If you loved this cottage cheese buffalo chicken dip you NEED to try these other easy recipes:
- Chickpea and veggie fritters
- The best high protein spinach dip
- Air Fryer pizza bites
- Easy roasted chickpeas
- Garlic and Herb veggie dip
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this cottage cheese buffalo chicken dip don't forget to snap a picture and tag me on Instagram- @nourishebdynic or leave a comment below!
Cottage Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce adjust to taste preferences
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup shredded chicken breasts (about ½ lb or 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast) see text above for cooking tips
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 2 green onions sliced
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F and grease a medium sized oven safe ceramic dish.
- Add your cottage cheese, olive oil, buffalo sauce and spices to a food processor or high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Adjust spices to taste preference
- Pour your blended cottage cheese mixture into a greased oven safe dish, add your shredded chicken, cheese and chopped red bell pepper and mix until evenly distributed. Top with additional shredded cheese.
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. The dish will be HOT when you remove it so please wear oven mitts!
- Serve with pita, chips, crackers or veggies for a balanced snack!