Air fryer tortilla pizzas are the ultimate easy 15 minute lunch. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy the taste of pizza, without the hassle.
I have yet to meet a human who doesn't love pizza. In my house we celebrate pizza in all its forms: pizza rolls, flatbread, panzerotti... what's not to love? Even Hailey Bieber gets it with her iconic pizza toast that I had to recreate.
The only issue with pizza is that I don't always have time to whip up a homemade dough. Ordering in can get pricey, and who wants to run to the grocery store when it's 1pm and your stomach is growling?
This air fryer tortilla pizza is my solution. It's my tried and true pizza fix that I can throw together and eat in 15 minutes or less. Cheesy, crispy and the perfect vehicle to load up with veggies!
Why This Dietitian Loves This Recipe
- Balanced and healthy. Pizza gets a bad rap for being "unhealthy", but I think it's actually a quite balanced option. We've got carbs, fat, and whatever protein and fibre options you choose to load up on. This tortilla pizza is topped with colorful veggies and lean protein for a meal that your body will love.
- Use up leftovers. Clear out the fridge and throw any leftover veggies and proteins onto your pizza. You might end up with some unconventional and tasty combos!
- Kid-friendly. All kids love pizza! Having your littles make their own pizza is a great way to involve them in the kitchen and expose them to new foods. Sometimes all it takes is some hands-on participation to get kids interested in healthy eating.
- Whole wheat tortilla
- Tomato sauce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Bell peppers
- Chicken breast
Spread a layer of pesto and tomato sauce over the tortilla, ensuring the sauce is evenly distributed, leaving a thin “crust” around the edges.
Add an even layer of ½ of the shredded cheese. Evenly spread remaining toppings starting with the spinach and adding tomatoes, chicken and peppers
Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of shredded cheese for a cheesy topping.
Add tortilla to the basket of your air fryer and bake for about 7-10 minutes.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Use a gluten-free tortilla.
To make dairy-free: Use a dairy-free cheese alternative. Many pestos have parmesan, so you can use a dairy-free pesto or omit it.
To make vegan: Follow the dairy-free swaps above and use a plant-based protein of choice (grilled tofu, plant-based chicken, etc.).
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free.
Customize your air fryer tortilla pizza with any toppings of choice:
- Protein options: Ground turkey or beef, pepperoni, deli turkey meat, grilled tofu
- Veggie options: Caramelized onions, broccoli, olives, roasted garlic
- Cheese options: Feta cheese, mozzarella, goat cheese, cheddar, even brie would be amazing!
- Sauce options: Alfredo sauce, barbecue sauce, red pepper pesto
I recommend eating this tortilla pizza fresh. However, you can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheat in the air fryer for about 5 minutes.
Add your spinach BEFORE any other vegetables or toppings. When you add it to the top of the pizza, it will dry out and won’t taste as good!
Frequently Asked Questions
Any tortillas will work great in this so use what you have! I personally always try to opt for a whole wheat or whole grain option for some added fiber, but you can even try a higher protein or low carb option if that’s what fits best into your lifestyle.
I love this sauce from Costco but any sauce works. I just typically try to look for a sauce that’s less than 5g of sugar per serving, as tomato sauces can often contain a lot of hidden sugars.
I personally believe all pizza can be a great addition to a balanced diet- this one included! Not only can it offer protein, carbohydrates and fats, but you can also add as many veggies as you like. If you'd like to add more nutrients, serve it with some sliced veggies & dip (try my cottage cheese dip) or a side salad!
It's not exactly the same, as tortillas are much thinner and not leavened, compared to pizza dough. But it makes an amazing vehicle for your favorite pizza toppings, so I love using tortillas as a pizza base in a pinch!
Yes, just bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until crispy and the cheese is melted.
More Easy Lunch Recipes
You deserve easy and delicious lunches!
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this air fryer tortilla pizza, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza (15 Minutes)
- 10 inch whole wheat tortilla
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 3 tablespoon low sugar tomato sauce
- ½ cup of shredded cheese divided
- ⅓ cup spinach chopped
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- ¼ cup bell peppers diced
- ⅓ cup shredded cooked chicken breasts
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
- Spread a layer of pesto and tomato sauce over the tortilla, ensuring the sauce is evenly distributed, leaving a thin “crust” around the edges.
- Add an even layer of ½ of the shredded cheese. Evenly spread remaining toppings starting with the spinach and adding tomatoes, chicken and peppers.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of shredded cheese for a cheesy topping.
- Add tortilla to the basket of your air fryer and bake for about 7-10 minutes.