This one pan broccoli and cauliflower rice is the easiest side dish for all your dinner parties- packed with fibre, colour and flavour, it's sure to impress even the pickiest eater at the table!
As the holiday season approaches, I've been getting lots of questions about my favorite dishes to share with friends and family. At my dinner table, there are often a lot of delicious carb or protein-based mains (hello pasta!!), and I love adding a bit of colour by bringing a simple veggie side. Introducing the easiest dish to please EVERYONE at the table: cheesy broccoli cauliflower rice.
Why You Need This Broccoli and Cauliflower Rice
I know your little cousins might usually refuse to finish their broccoli, but this healthy broccoli and cauliflower bake might change their minds! If still you aren't convinced, here are some other reasons why I love this recipe:
- It's quick and easy: cooking for a crowd can be a stressful event, but it doesn't have to be! You can whip up this recipe in less than 20 minutes, meaning more time spent with friends and family than laboring in the kitchen.
- It pairs well: I'm willing to bet that this broccoli cauliflower rice recipe will pair well with most dishes at your dinner table, whether that be mashed potatoes or roast chicken.
- Full of nutrition: Packed with calcium, fiber and vitamin K, this is a recipe that will truly nourish your tastebuds AND body!
Broccoli florets- Broccoli is such a great cruciferous vegetable loaded with nutrients, including vitamin C and vitamin K. There's a reason we always grew up being told to eat broccoli!
Cauliflower rice- It's easiest to buy this frozen, however you can make your own by cutting half a head of cauliflower in small florets and blitzing it in a food processor.
Sun-dried tomatoes- I'm a big fan of these for a hit of acid and tang.
Low-sodium vegetable broth- Cooking everything in broth is the best little hack to easily boost the flavor any dish. I chose vegetable broth to keep things vegetarian, but chicken broth works too for a more umami flavour.
Coconut milk- You can use light or full fat in this recipe! I'm obsessed with the creaminess and mild coconut flavour.
Parmesan cheese- If someone says they don't like cheese, I feel like they're lying to themselves (just kidding- I'll take your word for it!). If you're dairy-free, you can leave this one out.
How To Make This Broccoli and Cauliflower Rice
1. To a large cast iron skillet (or oven safe pan) over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add garlic, onion and sundried tomatoes. Cook until fragrant and when the onions appear translucent
2. Add paprika, cumin, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Stir to incorporate.
3. Add in broccoli florets and cauliflower rice, coconut milk, vegetable broth and ½ of the parmesan cheese and stir (use a wooden spatula to break large broccoli florets into smaller pieces). Bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Once vegetables are tender, top with remaining parmesan cheese and broil for about 5-10 minutes, until the cheese turns golden in colour!
5. Serve immediately while it's warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen broccoli and cauliflower in this recipe?
How can I make this a complete meal?
How long does this last in the fridge?
More Veggie Side Dishes
- Simple Kale Salad with Honey Dijion Mustard
- The Ultimate 15-Minute Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- The Best Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
- The Best Lemon and Parmesan Air Fryer Zucchini Sticks
P.S. I LOVE SEEING MY RECIPES IN ACTION! IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE THIS CHEESY BROCCOLI CAULIFLOWER RICE, DON’T FORGET TO TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM -@NOURISHEDBYNIC OR LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!
Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cauliflower rice about 340g- approx ½ of one medium head of cauliflower
- 3 cups of broccoli florets about 340g
- ¾ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk light or full fat
- 1 cup parmesan cheese divided
- To a large cast iron skillet (or oven safe pan) over medium heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add garlic, onion and sundried tomatoes. Cook until fragrant and the onions appear translucent
- Add paprika, cumin, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and crushed red pepper and stir.
- Add in broccoli florets and cauliflower rice, coconut milk, vegetable broth and ½ of the parmesan cheese and stir (use a wooden spatula to break large broccoli florets into smaller pieces). Bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once vegetables are tender, top with remaining parmesan cheese and broil for about 5-10 minutes, until the cheese turns golden in colour!
- Serve immediately while warm.