My cheesy smashed potatoes are the BEST way to enjoy potatoes. Both super crispy and delightfully cheesy, you'll be going back for seconds (or thirds!).
Potatoes are a perfect food because there's so many different ways to enjoy them! I love a good crispy air fryer potato or sweet potato wedge just as much as the next girl, but I also love experimenting with out-of-the-box recipes like sweet potato brownies.
WIth that being said, these cheesy smashed potatoes are a recipe I can eat every single night and not get sick of. They're perfect for easy dinners, or an appetizer that is guaranteed to please every guest at the table. Who doesn't love a crispy, cheesy potato?
Why This Recipe Is Dietitian Approved
- Full of nutrition. Sweet potatoes may have a health halo, but white potatoes have nutrients too! They've got nutrients like vitamin C, potassium and fibre, especially since we're keeping the skin on.
- Easy side dish or appetizer. These cheesy smashed potatoes pair well with any main like baked chicken breast and side salads.
- Gluten-free. This recipe is an amazing gluten-free nacho alternative!
Baby potatoes. For best results I recommend using golden baby potatoes. High starch potatoes such as russet, yukon gold, and idaho will have a fluffier inside, whereas waxier potatoes such as red potatoes will created a more creamy inside. Additionally, the skin of golden potatoes is thinner and less bitter tasting than red potatoes, making it easier to smash.
Oil. Go for a neutral tasting oil such as olive oil or avocado oil. Canola or vegetable oil will work as well if you are in a pinch.
Spices. Salt, black pepper, paprika are all you need for this recipe.
Garlic. I always recommend using freshly pressed garlic if you have it available to you. I find fresh garlic provides the best flavour. If you only have pre-minced garlic on hand, that's fine too.
Chives. I love adding some fresh chopped chives for a fresh flavor and pop of colour. Green onions will work as well.
Cheese. Shredded cheddar cheese is a MUST for these cheesy potatoes.
The complete ingredient list with measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Wash and dry your potatoes and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes to the boiling water. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot with a lid and let simmer until fork-tender (about 10-15 minutes). Drain the water.
In a small bowl, whisk together oil, salt, black pepper, paprika and garlic.
Add potatoes and half of the oil mixture into a large mixing bowl and toss to coat.
Line a 17.23x11.5" baking tray with parchment paper and evenly distribute the potatoes on the tray.
Brush the bottom of a glass or mason jar with some oil and use the glass the gently press down on the potatoes “smashing” them. Note: the thinner the potato the crispier it will get, thicker potatoes will be more fluffy inside! Brush the remaining oil mixture over the top of the smashed potatoes.
Bake for 15 minutes, sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Top with fresh chives to serve.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: This recipe is naturally gluten-free.
To make vegan: Use a dairy-free cheese. Ensure you choose a dairy-free cheese like melts well like this one.
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free.
Use this recipe as a base to dress up or down. Here's how I like to switch up these cheesy smashed potatoes:
- Deluxe nachos: top with a dollop of sour cream or guacamole and add chopped tomatoes to make these “nacho” substitutions.
- Gourmet: swap the orange cheddar cheese for a higher quality cheese such as aged cheddar or Gruyère and top with some chopped bacon for an elevated flavour profile.
- Baking tray
- Jar or small glass container (for smashing)
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. To reheat, place them in the oven at 375F for about 5-10 minutes.
If you don’t have a glass or mason jar to use, a fork or potato masher will also work.
For the crispiest smashed potatoes, try and steam dry them after boiling. This means draining them and allow them to dry in a colander for about 5 minutes to remove excess water. The more water you can drain, the crispier these potatoes will be.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You can slice the potatoes into 1 inch rounds after boiling and smash and bake them as directed in the recipe card below. Please note this will result in thinner potatoes, although they will be crispier.
Yes! Once boiled and tossed in oil, add the potatoes to the basket of your air fryer, and smash them. Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes, shaking the basket half way through. Add the cheese in the final 5 minutes.
More Easy Side Recipes
Loving these delicious sides and appetizers? You'll to want to try these next:
- Smashed Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts with Feta
- Spicy Hot Honey Roasted Carrots
- Lemon Parmesan Smashed Broccoli
- Easy Air Fryer Diced Potatoes
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these cheesy smashed potatoes, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Cheesy Smashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs gold baby potatoes
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoon chives chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Wash and dry your potatoes and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes to the boiling water. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot with a lid and let simmer until fork-tender (about 10-15 minutes). Drain the water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, salt, black pepper, paprika and garlic.
- Add potatoes and half of the oil mixture into a large mixing bowl and toss to coat.
- Line a 17.23x11.5’ baking tray with parchment paper and evenly distribute the potatoes on the tray.
- Brush the bottom of a glass or mason jar with some oil and use the glass the gently press down on the potatoes “smashing” them. Note: the thinner the potato the crispier it will get, thicker potatoes will be more fluffy inside! Brush the remaining oil mixture over the top of the smashed potatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Top with fresh chives to serve