My air fryer sweet potato wedges are crispy and garlicky with a hint of savory parm. Ready in 20 minutes, it's the easiest side to any main!
I'd like to argue that one of the best orders for patio season is a loaded salad with a side of crispy sweet potato fries. Unfortunately, living in Toronto means that eating out empties my wallet faster than I'd like... but lucky for both of us we can recreate that experience at home!
You all know I love sharing my salad recipes with you, but now it's time to tackle the sweet potatoes. Thanks to my favourite kitchen appliance, these air fryer sweet potato wedges are super crispy and way cheaper. They're the perfect side to any sandwich, light salad or protein.
Why This Dietitian Loves This Recipe
Here's why I love these air fryer sweet potato wedges as a dietitian and a foodie:
- Nutrient-dense. Sweet potatoes are a source of fibre and beta-carotene, thanks to its bright orange colour. Beta-carotene is a compound that is converted to vitamin A in our bodies.
- Less oil than regular sweet potato fries. You don't need to drench your fries in oil to make them crispy and tasty! These air fryer sweet potato wedges are a lighter option if you don't want something super greasy.
- Only 5 minutes of prep time. Perfect for weeknights and any last minute dinner parties!
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Chili powder
- Parmesan cheese
Preheat the air fryer to 390°F.
Wash and scrub your sweet potatoes until clean. Pat dry. Slice potatoes into ¼ inch thick wedges.
Add sweet potato wedges to a medium bowl, drizzle with olive oil. Add spices and Parmesan and toss to coat.
Arrange fries in a single layer along the bottom of your air fryer basket (this may need to be done in batches to not overcrowd the air fryer).
Air fry for about 16-20 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: This recipe is naturally gluten-free.
To make vegan: Swap the parmesan for a dairy-free parmesan or 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast.
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free.
Missing an ingredient? Try these:
- Sweet potatoes: Swap for white or yellow potatoes. The cooking instructions are the same!
- Olive oil: Swap for any neutral cooking oil of choice (avocado oil, vegetable oil, etc.)
- Cooking spray: If you are looking to use cooking spray instead of liquid oil, you can spray your chopped sweet potatoes with a thin layer of cooking spray, toss in your spices and parmesan and then spray once again with a thin layer once your sweet potatoes are in the air fryer basket.
To make the most of the crispy texture, I recommend eating these fresh. However, if you have leftovers store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, just place them in your air fryer and bake at 350F for about 5 minutes!
For extra crispy sweet potato fries: try tossing in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch prior to adding the olive oil. This helps absorb excess moisture for the ultimate crisp!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can! Although they may not get quite as crispy, they will still taste amazing. I recommend tossing your sweet potatoes in olive oil and spices (leaving the parmesan OFF for now) and arranging your sweet potato wedges in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking tray. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, then flip and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
My personal favourite is making a sriracha ‘mayo’ using 2 parts plain Greek yogurt, 1 part mayonnaise and about ½ teaspoon sriracha. These sweet potato wedges are also SO good with my homemade Big Mac sauce!
I hear this myth ALL the time and have to disagree. Sweet potatoes and white potatoes have a very similar amount of carbohydrates and calories. Sweet potatoes have more vitamin A (from the beta carotene), but white potatoes have more potassium! As a dietitian, I always say to aim for the widest variety of foods in your diet to ensure you get a good mix of nutrients.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Are you as obsessed with the air fryer as me? Here are some other air fryer recipes to try next:
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these air fryer sweet potato wedges, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Garlic Parmesan Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- 2 small sweet potatoes scrubbed clean and cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F.
- Wash and scrub your sweet potatoes until clean. Pat dry. Slice potatoes into ¼ inch thick wedges.
- Add sweet potato wedges to a medium bowl, drizzle with olive oil. Add spices and Parmesan and toss to coat.
- Arrange fries in a single layer along the bottom of your air fryer basket (this may need to be done in batches to not overcrowd the air fryer). Air fry for about 16-20 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking.