Chicken Spinach Wraps with creamy pesto and hummus are a balanced, 5 minute lunch you can pack for work or school.
This chicken spinach wrap is my newest wrap combination that's been on repeat recently. It's got a creamy, pesto veggie mix with coleslaw and spinach, sliced deli chicken, and havarti cheese. Talk about yum! I highly recommend drizzling with balsamic glaze to take this wrap to the next level.
Why This Recipe Is Dietitian Approved
- Balanced lunch. Protein, healthy fats and fibre! This wrap checks all my boxes for a balanced lunch to keep me full.
- So many veggies. I love a good kale salad, but it's not the only way to get your veggies. There's 3+ colourful veggies in this chicken spinach wrap, so you're getting fibre and lots of micronutrients.
- 5 minutes of prep. This truly is a 5 minute meal that you can throw together during a lunch break, or the night before work.
Tortillas. We use large (10 inch) whole wheat tortillas so all the fillings can fit. Any tortillas of choice will work.
Hummus. Go for a homemade hummus or use a store bought option. I love using hummus as a spread to add flavour and moisture to my sandwiches and wraps. It's a great higher protein sub if you don't like mayo!
Pesto. I love using pesto wraps for the fresh flavours and pop of colour. Pesto is an amazing source of healthy fats and vitamin E.
Greek yogurt. Look for a plain Greek yogurt. I chose a 2% yogurt to ensure some creaminess, without being too filling.
Chicken breast. Choose grilled chicken strips, baked chicken or lean chicken breast deli meat.
Havarti cheese. This can be replaced with feta or monterey jack cheese, up to you.
Cherry tomatoes. These work well in wraps as they can be evenly distributed throughout the filling.
Coleslaw mix. My secret weapon for extra veggies and some crunch! Choose any coleslaw mix blend of your choice. If you don't want to use coleslaw, you can just replace with extra spinach.
Spinach. Our leafy green of choice in this wrap.
Spread hummus in an even layer over the surface of the tortilla.
Place chicken breast and havarti in the center of the tortilla. It’s ok if the edges overlap.
In a medium mixing bowl combine coleslaw mix, spinach Greek yogurt and pesto. Toss to combine and add to the centre of your tortilla.
Top with cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic glaze (if using).
Wrap your tortilla by folding the outer edges towards the center and bringing the bottom flap up and continuing to roll, gently pressing down to ensure the wrap is tight. Slice diagonally and serve!
The complete ingredient list with measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Use a gluten-free tortilla.
To make dairy-free: Use a dairy-free cheese and dairy-free yogurt.
To make vegan: Follow dairy-free swaps and swap deli turkey for a plant-based protein. Think tempeh strips, tofu strips, or a plant-based deli alternative.
To make nut-free: Some pesto brands contain pine nuts, so be sure to choose a nut-free option or make a nut-free pesto.
This chicken spinach wrap is best if served fresh. If you would like to make it ahead of time, you can store it in the fridge for up to 48 hours in an airtight container. The tortilla may start to soften, so I would recommend skipping the hummus (or serving on the side) if you want to meal prep these wraps.
For best results and easiest wrapping, I recommend adding all your toppings into the CENTER of your tortilla. 10 inch tortillas are the best size. Be careful not to overstuff your tortilla, or else it will be very difficult to roll.
Frequently Asked Questions
Deli meat is a processed meat however, it can absolutely be a source of protein you can include in moderation within a balanced diet. To ensure you are making the most of your deli meat, here are my top dietitian tips:
- Choose reduced or low sodium options
- Choose leaner options such as chicken or turkey
- Choose nitrate/ nitrite free options
Yes of course! I use deli meat for convenience however, if you have it available, slicing freshly cooked chicken breast is a great option to replace the deli meat. I also love the Sunrise Farms frozen cooked chicken strips from Costco.
More Healthy Lunch Recipes
My fave sandwiches and wraps!
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wrap
- Grilled Pesto Tofu Sandwich
- Chicken Kale Caesar Wrap
- Air Fryer Breakfast Sandwich
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this chicken spinach wrap, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Creamy Pesto Chicken Spinach Wrap
- 1 large whole wheat tortilla wrap
- 1.5 tablespoon hummus
- 4 slices natural deli chicken breast can also use ½ cup chopped sliced chicken breast
- 2 slices havarti cheese
- ½ cup coleslaw mix
- ½ cup spinach finely chopped
- 2.5 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1.5 tablespoon pesto
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes
- Balsamic glaze optional
- Spread hummus in an even layer over the surface of the tortilla.
- Place chicken breast and havarti in the center of the tortilla (it’s ok if the edges overlap).
- In a medium mixing bowl combine coleslaw mix, spinach greek yogurt and pesto. Toss to combine.
- Add coleslaw/ spinach mixture to the center of the tortilla. Top with cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic glaze (if using).
- Wrap your tortilla by folding the outer edges towards the center and bringing the bottom flap up and continuing to roll, gently pressing down to ensure the wrap is tight. Slice diagonally and serve!