My air fryer breakfast sandwich is an easy balanced way to start the day. With 25g of protein and lots of colour, it's nutritious too!
I find that most on-the-go breakfast options tend to be overnight oats or muffins, so I wanted to bring you a savory option. This air fryer breakfast sandwich is faster, healthier, and more delicious than heading to the drive thru for an Egg McMuffin. With flavour-packed ingredients like sundried tomatoes and creaminess from the hummus and avocado, this recipe makes a sandwich you'll find yourself craving.
Why This Dietitian Loves This Recipe
Aside from the amazing taste, why else do I love this air fryer breakfast sandwich? Let me tell you:
- Quick and easy. There are very minimal dishes for this recipe, and since we're using the air fryer it takes less than 15 minutes to throw together. It's the best for busy mornings- no more skipping breakfast around here!
- Balanced. We have fibre from our veggies and bread, protein from the eggs and bacon, and heart-healthy fats from the cheese, avocado, and hummus. I'd call that a balanced way to start the day.
- Customizable. Take out ingredients you don't like, add in what you have on hand!
- Olive oil
- Turkey bacon
- Sundried tomatoes
- Feta cheese
Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
Spread a thin layer of olive oil on the outside of each slice of bread and a layer of hummus on the inside.
On one slice of toast, create a well by shaping the turkey bacon into a circle and crack the egg in the center.
On the second slice, layer avocado, feta and sundried tomatoes.
Bake for about 7 minutes.
Add the feta cheese and air fry for another 4 minutes.
Once the white of the egg is white in colour and opaque and the yolk is cooked to your desired preference, remove from the air fryer, and enjoy your sandwich!
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Use a gluten-free bread and hummus. I love the Queen St Bakery bread!
To make dairy-free: Swap the feta for a dairy-free cheese.
To make vegan: Try out my grilled pesto tofu sandwich (omit the feta) as a vegan alternative!
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free.
Missing an ingredient? Try these:
- Hummus: Swap for mayo or another spread of choice
- Sundried tomatoes: Swap for cherry tomatoes
- Feta cheese: Swap for cheddar cheese
- Spinach: Swap for kale or arugula
- Olive oil: Swap for softened butter
Feel free to use whatever toppings you have on hand!
For best results, I recommend eating this air fryer breakfast sandwich right away. Otherwise, the bread will lose its crisp and get soggy.
All air fryers are different, so the cook time may vary slightly. If the white of your egg is still clear, place the sandwich back into the air fryer for about 3 minutes longer and repeat until fully cooked.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s convenient! Although a regular stovetop breakfast sandwich isn’t too complicated, there are typically more appliances and dishes involved. I love this air fryer version as you only need one dish and everything is done- the toast, the melted cheese, the cooked egg and bacon!
I like using a whole grain bread for more fibre and micronutrients!
For a runny yolk I recommend decreasing the cooking time to about 9-10 minutes! For a slightly harder yolk stick with the 15 minute time frame outlined in the recipe. For a hard yolk fry air frying for about 17-18 minutes.
However please note all air fryers are different and cook times may vary slightly
Turkey bacon may be slightly lower in fat than regular bacon, but at the end of the day it's still a processed meat that may be higher in sodium and other additives. However, as a dietitian I believe that all foods fit and you can enjoy turkey bacon or regular bacon in moderation.
Make the egg and bacon separately, assemble your sandwich, then grill it on the stovetop.
Yes! If you happen to buy a pack of frozen breakfast sandwiches (such as Jimmy Dean) simply separate it into two halves (sausage on one side, egg on the other), add any other toppings you want and air fry for about 8 minutes!
More Quick Breakfast Recipes
I'm all about easy recipes for busy mornings. Here are more options for my savory breakfast friends!
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this air fryer breakfast sandwich, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Air Fryer Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 slices of bread of choice
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- ½ tablespoon olive oil or softened butter
- 1 slice turkey bacon
- 1 large egg
- ¼ ripe avocado sliced
- ⅓ cup spinach chopped
- 2 tablespoon sundried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon feta cheese crumbled
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
- Spread a thin layer of olive oil on the outside of each slice of bread and a layer of hummus on the inside. On one slice of toast- create a well by shaping the turkey bacon into a circle and crack the egg in the center. On the second slice- layer avocado, feta and sundried tomatoes.
- Bake for about 7 minutes, add the feta cheese and air fry for another 4 minutes. Once the white of the egg is white in colour and opaque and the yolk is cooked to your desired preference, remove from the air fryer, and enjoy your sandwich!