These ginger ground chicken meatballs are the BEST weeknight dinner! They are the perfect addition to your favourite stirfrys, noodle dishes and veggies! Plus they're perfect to meal-prep for a busy week.
These ground chicken meatballs are packed with so much flavour you'd never guess they only take 30 minutes to make. They are to make they are my go-to recipe when it's 6pm and I don't know what to make for dinner.
What makes these ginger meatballs so good?
For some reason meatballs are one of the things my brain automatically goes to when I'm trying to decide what to make for dinner. It could be because we always seem to have ground chicken and turkey int he freezer. Or it could be because they are SO EASY to make. Whatever the reason I'm not complaining, I'd happily eat these ground chicken meatballs eveyr night of the week.
If you still aren't convinced here are a few more reasons you need these ginger meatballs:
- They are BAKED (safer than splatering oil and healthier!).
- They are made from ground chicken (or turkey) meaning they have less saturated fat and are more heart healthy!
- They use only one bowl (so less mess!) .
- There are no cutting boards, knives or utensils involved (less dishes are always a win).
- They are meal-prep friendly (perfect for adding to your lunches or dinners).
- THEY ARE SO EASY!
What ingredients do I need for these ground chicken meatballs?
Ground chicken- Ground chicken or turkey both work (or even lean ground beef). I personally think the chicken and ginger sesame flavour pair really well together but it's up to you!
Green onions- My not so secret ingredient in these ground chicken meatballs is green onion! For the meatballs all you need is the whites of the onions. I'd suggest keeping the greens for garnish and added flavour on your final dish (they taste great on a good rice bowl)!
Seasame oil- I wouldn't recommend substiuting this with any other oil. Sesame oil has a very flavourful and distinct taste that can't be replicated. You can purchase sesame oil at most grocery stores wherever you find soy sauce!
Soy sauce- Any soy sauce will work (one again as it's a very specific flavour I don't have a substiution). Whenever I'm using soy sauce I like to try and find lower sodium options if possible.
Ginger- In these ginger meatballs I use fresh ginger! I like to use fresh ginger even if it's a little more work because I find it adds such a nice flavour. You can find fresh ginger at most grocery stores in the produce section. I'd recommend buying it and grating it yourself using a microplane or cheese grate for the freshest flavour. Dried ginger will also work the flavour just might not be quite as strong!
Breadcrumbs- Any breadcrumbs will work in these healthy ground chicken meatballs. I like to use plain breadcrumbs in these ground chicken meatballs as I fidn they have enough flavour!
Egg- For binding! I use an egg in all of my meatball recipes as it helps the meatballs stay together when they are baked!
Garlic- For the best flavour, fresh garlic is best in these!
How to make these healthy ground chicken meatballs?
I promise this meatball recipe is so simple you won't even feel like you're cooking.
To start, grab a baking tray and line it with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set it aside (I like to do this at the beginning while my hands are still clean.
Next, add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
Once all the ingredients are in your bowl, wash your hands, take off your jewlery and jump in. Mix everything up using your hands until the spices are spread evenly throughout the meat.
Roll your meat into balls (this recipe will make about 18 meatballs) and place them on your prepared baking sheet.
Bake at 400 degrees farenhite for 19-22 minutes.
Easy meal tip: If I'm in a time crunch and wanting to make an easy balanced meal fast, I like to prepare my vegetables and carboydrate of choice while these are cooking so that everything is ready to serve once the meatballs are!
To make these ginger meatballs a full balanced meal I'd recommend adding a carbohydrate and veggie source! Some of my favourite ways to use them are:
- Ground chicken bowls: Add some rice, your ground chicken meatballs and steamed veggies of choice and top with soy sauce or teriyaki sauce!
- Peanut sauce stir fry: Serve with your favourite rice noodles, easy peanut sauce (like this one) and sauteed vegetables of choice.
- Ginger chicken meatball wraps: Cut a few meatballs in half, add some vegetables to a whole grain tortilla and top with an Asian sesame dressing!
Other 30 minute meal ideas:
If you love these ginger ground chicken meatballs you need to try these other easy meal ideas:
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these ground chicken meatballs don't forget to tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment below!
Ginger Ground Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 green onions just the whites
- 2 tso sesame oil
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1 inch knob fresh ginger grated
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1 dash black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix using your hands until thoroughly combined.
- Roll mixture into balls (recipe should make about 18 meatballs) and place on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway.