My vegan chickpea salad is the meal prep lunch you need. It comes together in only 15 minutes and has tons of fibre and plant-based protein to keep you full. Just like tuna salad, but completely vegan!
Having a chicken salad prepped is one of the small things that makes lunch time 10x easier throughout the week. However, I don't always have a rotisserie chicken on hand, but I do always have a can of chickpeas.
Chickpeas are the best pantry staple because they can be transformed into anything from hummus, soups, and even energy balls. They're the secret star for any easy meal or snack. When it comes to lunch, it's the base for the BEST vegan chickpea salad sandwich.
P.S. This recipe isn't just for vegans. If you're looking for a chickpea salad without mayo, you'll love this recipe too!
Why This Dietitian Loves This Recipe
Here's why you need to try this vegan chickpea salad sandwich.
- Packed with plant-based protein. Can vegans and vegetarians get enough protein? Absolutely, but it takes some planning. This recipe has two different sources of plant-based protein: chickpeas and hemp seeds.
- Hidden veggies. There's a TON of veg in this recipe, but you would never guess from a quick glance. If you hate salads but want to eat more veggies, give this chickpea salad a try.
- Boost your fibre. Chickpeas and beans are an amazing source of fibre, even higher than many veggies and whole grains. One serving of this chickpea salad has Xg!!
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Hemp seeds
- Green onions
- Red onion
- Coleslaw mix
In a shallow bowl add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini and dijon mustard.
Use a potato masher to gently mash the chickpeas.
Fold in the spices, hemp seeds, celery, green onion, red onion, parsley and coleslaw mix.
Serve with crackers, as a sandwich or wrap topping or on a salad.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Use certified gluten-free chickpeas to avoid gluten cross-contamination. If you're having it as a chickpea salad sandwich, use a gluten-free bread.
To make vegan: This recipe is naturally vegan.
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free. However, it is a chickpea salad with tahini so be mindful if you have a sesame allergy.
Missing an ingredient? Try this:
- Tahini: If you are not vegan, you can sub tahini for a thick yogurt or mayonnaise.
- Coleslaw mix: Swap with shredded veggies of choice (e.g. carrot, zucchini). Pulsed broccoli is another great swap.
- Chickpeas: Swap for white beans.
- Hemp seeds: Swap for sunflower seeds. This will add a nuttier taste, but it's still delicious!
- Potato masher (optional)
- Mixing bowls
This vegan chickpea salad will stay fresh in the fridge for 4-5 days if stored in an airtight container.
If you don’t have a potato masher, a fork will work just fine! You really just want anything that will smash the chickpeas, creating the creamy ‘tuna-like’ texture. You can also give the chickpeas a quick blitz in a food processor, however be mindful that you keep some texture and it doesn't become smooth like hummus.
Frequently Asked Questions
I personally love the broccoli coleslaw package from President's Choice! I find it a great way to add in some veggies like broccoli and carrots!
I love using this as a dip with some pita or crackers or as an amazing sandwich filling with some hummus and spinach!
Yes of course! Just cook them according to the package instructions and use about 2 cups of the chickpeas once they are cooked!
It doesn't have the same "fishy" taste as tuna salad, but it has a similar texture that mimics tuna salad- especially when served in a sandwich!
I like making my chickpea salad sandwiches with whole grain sandwich bread or sourdough.
I usually use around ¾ cup, however listen to your hunger cues!
NO! I love using it as a 'dip' in my bento box lunches paired with crackers and veggies or as a filling in a wrap!
More Vegan Recipes
Did you enjoy this chickpea salad sandwich? Are you trying to eat more plant-based? Try these next:
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this vegan chickpea salad, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Smashed Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 2 cups chickpeas 540ml can, rinsed and drained
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoon hemp seeds
- ½ cup celery diced
- 2 tablespoon green onions sliced
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 2 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- 1 cup coleslaw mix of choice or any shredded vegetables
- In a shallow bowl add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini and dijon mustard. Use a potato masher to gently mash the chickpeas.
- Fold in the spices, hemp seeds, celery, green onion, red onion, parsley and coleslaw mix.
- Serve with crackers, as a sandwich or wrap topping or on a salad.