Inspired by Chobani flip, this chocolate Greek yogurt bowl is the dessert-inspired breakfast of your dreams. Crack open the peppermint magic shell and satisfy that sweet tooth!
I love a cozy bowl of cinnamon sugar oats, but no matter how cold it is sometimes I also want a yogurt bowl. And with candy canes popping up in every store, this chocolate Greek yogurt bowl is the best way to ring in the holidays.
It's festive, wholesome and topped with a peppermint magic shell. We've got all the nutrients from a protein yogurt bowl, complete with the rich chocolate and a refreshing zing from peppermint. You'll be craving this for sweet breakfasts or afternoon snacks all season long!
Why This Recipe Is Dietitian Approved
- 5 minutes of prep. Magic shell yogurt bowls sound fancy, but they're truly SO easy to make at home with just 5 minutes of work.
- High protein. Protein is so important for building balanced snacks. I love including chocolate Greek yogurt as a high quality protein source, with over 30g in one serving of this recipe.
- Customizable. Switch up the add-ins and adjust the sweetness to your tastes. Use this recipe as a base for your own experimentation!
Greek yogurt. I recommend using plain Greek yogurt so you can customize the sugar level. If you like a sweeter yogurt, try using vanilla.
Chocolate protein powder. My personal favourite chocolate protein powder is Nuzest but feel free to use any protein powder of your choice. If you don't have protein powder, swap for 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder + 1 teaspoon honey.
Chocolate chips. Milk chocolate, semi sweet and dark chocolate will all work.
Coconut oil. This is the secret ingredient that creates a silky smooth melted chocolate, hardening to create a magic shell in the fridge.
Candy cane. Optional though highly recommended for a festive touch!
Granola. For crunch, texture and some fibre! I like using a lower sugar granola. If you would like to make your own, this chocolate granola recipe is my favourite. For a store-bought option, I highly recommend this one.
The complete ingredient list with measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
In a medium bowl, whisk together greek yogurt and protein powder. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the yogurt, creating an even layer.
In a small microwave safe dish, add chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave in increments of 30 seconds, stirring between until chocolate is fully melted
Pour the chocolate over the yogurt and gently spread it over the yogurt. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes until the chocolate hardens.
Once the chocolate is set, sprinkle with granola and use a spoon to break the magic “shell” to enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Ensure your granola is gluten-free.
To make vegan: Use dairy-free chocolate chips, dairy-free yogurt and a vegan protein powder.
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free, however ensure that your granola is nut-free.
I recommend making this bowl as needed. If you place them in the freezer for too long, they will freeze completely.
If you are looking for a way to make them in advance, you can mix the chocolate Greek yogurt base and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. When you are ready to eat, stir your yogurt and top with the chocolate magic shell.
Depending on the size of your bowl, the chocolate may not be enough to reach all edges. If this is the case, simply create a smaller shell in the center of your bowl or melt additional chocolate chips by using a ratio of 1 tablespoon chocolate chips: 1 teaspoon coconut oil.
Frequently Asked Questions
Substitute with 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon of honey. Most protein powders have sweeteners added, so if you are substitute the protein powder the honey helps add sweetness.
You may have frozen the magic shell for too long. If this happens, just place it on the counter for a few minutes to soften the chocolate.
Nuts, graham crackers, whatever your heart desires!
More Festive Breakfast Recipes
Make every morning special with these recipes:
- Greek Yogurt Cinnamon Rolls
- Iced Sugar Cookie Baked Oats
- Ultimate Healthy Gingerbread Muffins
- Apple Pie Breakfast Cookie (No Banana)
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this chocolate Greek yogurt bowl, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Chocolate Greek Yogurt with Peppermint Magic Shell
- ¾ cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon chocolate protein powder
- 2 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed candy canes
- 3 tablespoon chocolate granola
- In a medium bowl, whisk together greek yogurt and protein powder. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the yogurt, creating an even layer.
- In a small microwave safe dish, add chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave in increments of 30 seconds, stirring between until chocolate is fully melted
- Pour the chocolate over the yogurt and gently spread it over the yogurt. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes until the chocolate hardens.
- Once the chocolate is set, sprinkle with granola and use a spoon to break the magic “shell” to enjoy!