Looking to eat more protein? Try my buffalo chicken dip with Greek yogurt! It's spicy, creamy and cheesy- the best dip for any veggies or pita!
Underrated nutrition tip: the best way to eat more veggies is to dunk them in a delicious dip! Bonus points if it's high protein and nutrient dense.
Now I know this buffalo chicken dip is the perfect option for everyone sick of hummus, guacamole or cottage cheese. Making buffalo chicken dip with Greek yogurt is the key to a creamy, rich dip that's also nutrient-dense. It's also an excellent way to use up leftover chicken in the fridge and reduce food waste. As a dietitian, I approve!
I love making this buffalo chicken dip for football games, movie nights with friends, or quick a afternoon bite. Pair it with your favourite dippers for a satisfying and balanced snack!
Why This Recipe is Dietitian Approved
- High protein. Since we're making this buffalo chicken dip with Greek yogurt, it's packed with high quality protein to keep us full.
- Calcium rich. Greek yogurt and cheese are sources of calcium, which is a mineral important for our bone health. If you're not a big milk fan, it's important to prioritize calcium from other sources. Why not get some from a buffalo chicken dip?
- Pair with veggies. Ranch is out, this buffalo chicken dip is in! Just kidding, if you love ranch you'll like my herb and garlic dip. But buffalo chicken dip is the key to actually eating those celery sticks you meal prepped on Sunday. Give it a try and watch your veggie intake soar!
- Lower in fat. Healthy fats are important in our diet, but I tend to feel sluggish instead of energized in my snack is super high in fat. I like this dip because it has enough fat to satisfy, yet leaves my body feeling great.
- Cream cheese
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Buffalo sauce
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper and salt
- Chicken breast
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onion
Preheat oven to 375F.
In a medium mixing bowl mix together cream cheese, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt.
Add shredded chicken and half of the cheddar cheese. Mix until fully combined.
Pour mixture into an oven safe dish (I used a 10.25” round cast iron pan), spread into an even layer and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and bake for an additional 5 minutes to get the cheese nice and golden.
Carefully remove from the oven, top with sliced green onions and serve with chips or veggies!
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: This recipe is naturally gluten-free.
To make dairy-free: I have not tested a dairy-free version of this recipe, as a majority of the ingredients are dairy products.
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free.
Missing an ingredient? Try these:
- Greek yogurt: Swap for blended cottage cheese.
- Cheddar cheese: Swap for a cheese of choice.
- Chicken breast: To simplify this recipe further, make this buffalo chicken dip with rotisserie chicken from the store!
Store leftover buffalo chicken dip in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Make sure it has fully cooled first.
To reheat, place in the oven at a low temperature (around 300F) for about 20 minutes. Alternatively, place it in a microwave safe dish and microwave for about 1 minute and 20 seconds.
For best results, shred your own cheese. Due to added ingredients, pre-shredded cheese doesn’t have quite the same melting properties. I know it's annoying, but the cheese factor is WAY better when you shred the cheese yourself!
Frequently Asked Questions
This dip is best eaten when it’s fresh! I find the Greek yogurt doesn’t freeze very well and will result in a liquidly dip once defrosted.
The higher the fat percentage, the creamier the dip. Higher fat percentages contain less water, meaning it's less likely to separate when heated. I personally choose either 2% or 5%, but the choice is yours.
Yes you can! You have two options: Heat the dip and allow it to cool (or eat leftovers without reheating). Alternatively, completely skip the cooking to make cold buffalo chicken dip. Please note the cheese will not be melted if you go this route, so you can leave it out if you prefer.
I recommend seasoning chicken breasts with salt and pepper and baking in an oven safe dish and cooking at 400F for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
I like the Primal Kitchen buffalo sauce because it's made with heart-healthy avocado oil!
More Healthy Dip Recipes
Dip it up with these other winners from the Nourished kitchen!
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this buffalo chicken dip with Greek yogurt, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Greek Yogurt Buffalo Chicken Dip
- ¼ cup cream cheese softened
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt *see notes
- ¾ cup buffalo sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2.5 cups shredded chicken breasts about 2 chicken breasts or 1 lb
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 green onions finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together cream cheese, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt.
- Add shredded chicken and half of the cheddar cheese. Mix until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into an oven safe dish ( I used a 10.25” round cast iron pan), spread into an even layer and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and bake for an additional 5 minutes to get the cheese nice and golden.
- Carefully remove from the oven, top with sliced green onions and serve with chips or veggies!