Zesty and bright, these lemon turmeric energy balls will be your on-the-go easy snack. They're plant-based, dairy-free and gluten-free too!
Calling all lemon poppyseed fans! Lately I've been meal prepping these lemon turmeric energy balls, and they were too good not to share. By now you KNOW how much I love a good energy ball. With a touch of sweetness from honey and tang from the lemon, these turmeric energy balls capture all the flavors of a lemon poppyseed cake in a bite.
Similar to my no-bake cookie dough balls, the combination of almond flour and cashew butter gives it the best cookie dough texture, while also providing tons of healthy fats.
This recipe is also gluten-free, dairy-free and completely plant-based, so everyone is able to enjoy it! It's perfect for meal prep so you have balanced snacks all week long.
Why This Dietitian Loves This Recipe:
In addition to its beautiful yellow color, adding turmeric to these energy balls also provides a TON of health benefits.
Turmeric contains a unique compound called curcumin, which is a nutrition powerhouse. The effects of curcumin are still being studied, but so far we know it is a strong antioxidant and fights inflammation in the body. Unfortunately the absorption of curcumin is limited, however consuming it with a fat source (these energy balls are loaded with healthy fats!) and black pepper greatly increases the availability. If this is important to you, try adding a crack of black pepper into the energy balls. Note that this may impact the taste!
While I don't think I'll ever get sick of energy balls, these lemon turmeric ones are a fun way to switch things up. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- Cashew butter
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Almond flour
- Vanilla protein powder
- Ground turmeric
- Poppy seeds
- Unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- Black pepper (optional)
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together cashew butter, honey, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest.
Once mixed, add almond flour, vanilla protein powder, turmeric and poppy seeds.
Mix well to combine.
Roll into about 11 rounded tablespoon sized balls and sprinkle with coconut flakes.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: These are naturally gluten-free.
To make vegan: Swap honey for maple syrup or another liquid sweetener of choice.
Missing an ingredient? Try these:
- Cashew butter: Any nut or seed butter can be used, but it will alter the taste. I find cashew butter is the most neutral tasting!
- Almond flour: This can be swapped for 1 cup of oat flour, however I personally find that almond flour creates the PERFECT level of moisture and adds a subtle nutty flavour to these.
- Poppyseeds: Swap for chia seeds.
- Protein powder: Swap for additional ¼ cup almond flour.
These lemon turmeric energy balls can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for 3 months. If you freeze them, allow them to sit on the counter for at least 10-15 minutes before eating.
Get your hands dirty! To mix all the ingredients together and create the best energy ball dough, skip the spoon and use your hands.
Frequently Asked Questions
I love the plant-based protein from Nuzest. You can try it out with 15% off with my code NOURISHEDBYNIC!
Nope! I personally like adding extra protein and flavour with protein powder, however it’s not necessary! Just add an additional ¼ cup of almond flour to replace it.
Yes!! For the best lemon-y flavour I HIGHLY recommend adding both the lemon zest and the lemon juice!
More Energy Ball Recipes
If you liked these turmeric energy balls, here are some similar recipes to try next:
- No-Bake Oatmeal Cookie Energy Balls
- 5-Minute Vegan Snickers Protein Balls
- Birthday Cake Protein Balls
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Balls
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these lemon turmeric energy balls, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Lemon Turmeric Energy Balls
- ½ cup cashew butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 + ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- Unsweetened shredded coconut flakes for sprinkling, optional
- Pinch of black pepper optional
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together cashew butter, honey, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Once mixed, add almond flour, vanilla protein powder, turmeric and poppy seeds and stir to combine.
- Roll into about 11 rounded tablespoon sized balls and sprinkle with coconut flakes.
Leave a Reply