These 3-ingredient peanut butter oatmeal balls are my go-to snack that are vegan and gluten-free. Made from pantry staples, this base recipe can be customized to your wishes.
Snacks can be a powerful tool in maintaining balanced blood sugar and stable energy levels throughout the day. Believe it or not, snacking can be healthy- you don't have to arrive at every meal absolutely ravenous!
With that being said, I do my best to prioritize nourishing snacks that keep me full between meals. Sometimes I go for a quick mid-afternoon cookie, but it's not always the best for crushing that hunger.
Meal-prepping my snacks has quickly made my life a lot easier, because it means I have nourishing snacks ready for my convenience.
These 3 ingredient peanut butter oatmeal balls are probably the most basic, easy meal prep snack you can start with. They're my go-to snack when I'm on-the-go, and they do a great job at satisfying my sweet cravings.
As always, you can jazz these oatmeal balls up with your favourite mix-ins (ideas listed below!) or keep them simple. Give these a try this week and let me know how it goes!
- Peanut butter (I use natural)
- Maple syrup
See Substitutions and Variations for optional mix-ins.
In a large mixing bowl, add peanut butter, oats and maple syrup.
Mix until fully combined.
Add in mix-ins (if using) and stir until incorporated.
Roll mixture into 12-13 equal sized balls.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Use certified gluten-free oats.
To make nut-free: Use sunflower seed butter or WowButter instead of peanut butter. If your seed/soy-based butter is much thicker than natural peanut butter, I recommend heating it up slightly or adding 1-2 tablespoon of melted coconut oil until it has a runny texture.
Missing an ingredient? Try these:
- Peanut butter: Any nut/seed butter will work as the base, so take your pick!
- Maple syrup: Honey is a great sub for maple syrup- use an equal amount. Sugar-free maple syrup also works, but the oatmeal balls may be a little less sweet.
- Oats: If you don't like the texture of rolled oats, you can use oat flour. If you're using pre-made oat flour, just use 2-3 tablespoon less to account for the volume difference.
Here are some mix-in ideas to get you started:
- M&Ms or chocolate chips
- Dried fruit (cranberries, chopped apricots, raisins)
- Crushed peanuts
- Desiccated coconut
- Freeze-dried strawberries or raspberries
- Seeds (hemp, flax, pumpkin)
These 3 ingredient peanut butter oatmeal balls can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. You can also store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you choose to freeze them, let them sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before eating.
I find it easiest to mix everything with a flexible rubber spatula first, then roll it out with my hands. This is what works best for me, since the batter can be pretty sticky.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can, however you will need to decrease the amount of oats you are using to maintain the moisture balance! I typically recommend substituting ¼ cup of oats with ¼ cup of protein powder of choice (I love Nuzest!).
I always recommend using natural peanut butter. Look for one with 1-2 ingredients, which are typically just peanuts and salt. This helps reduce added sugar in my diet. However, any peanut butter will work.
No, steel cut oats are the only type of oats that I do not recommend using in this recipe! They do not absorb moisture the same and will not form a soft energy ball.
Yes you absolutely can! Quick and minute oats are the same as rolled oats, just cut into smaller pieces so they cook faster. In this case, quick, minute and rolled all work fine.
More Sweet Snack Recipes
- No-Bake Easy Oatmeal Cookie Energy Balls
- Easy Birthday Cake Protein Balls
- 5-Minute Vegan Snickers Protein Balls
- Easy Healthy White Chocolate Raspberry Truffles
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these 3 ingredient peanut butter oatmeal balls, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup oats quick, minute or rolled
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½-¾ cup mix-ins of choice optional
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together peanut butter, oats and maple syrup. Add in mix-ins (if using) and stir until fully combined.
- Roll energy ball mixture into 12-13 equal sized balls.