You need sheet pan tofu fajitas for your next weeknight meal. Easy, delicious and so flavorful, they're tasty for vegans, flexitarians and meat-lovers alike!
Looking to eat a little more plant-based? This recipe is for you. Tofu fajitas are the recipe sweet spot that both my vegan AND meat-lover friends both love.
Faijtas are such a delicious meal option that come from Tex-Mex style cuisine. It's typically a combination of meat, veggies and onions that is served on a skillet alongside tortillas, guacamole and other toppings. My recipe differs from tradition by using a sheet pan method to decrease hands-on time, so keep that in mind. In my opinion, both methods have a delicious result!
I put a plant-based twist on the traditional fare with these vegan tofu fajitas, and they come together in 30 minutes or less. Serve with your favourite vegan toppings and you've got a fast, healthy and satisfying meal.
Meatless Mondays have never tasted so good!
Why This Recipe is Dietitian Approved
- 100% vegan. These tofu fajitas are completely plant-based, but you don't have to be vegan to enjoy them! It's just another way to eat more plants in a way that actually tastes good.
- Budget friendly. Tofu is a great budget friendly protein, especially compared to meat. If you're a student or just on a tighter grocery budget, this recipe is a great option.
- Balanced. Plant-based protein, colourful fibre rich veggies, and healthy fats. Tofu fajitas are a nourishing meal to sustain energy and leave you feeling good.
- Extra firm tofu
- Yellow onion
- Red bell pepper
- Orange bell pepper
- Olive oil
- Dairy-free cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprik
- Ground chili
- Garlic powder
- Corn tortillas
Preheat oven to 400F.
Add onions, bell peppers, zucchini and tofu to a large sheet pan.
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fajita spice blend. Toss to combine.
Bake for about 20 minutes. Top with vegan cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
To serve: add fajita filling to a tortilla, top with avocado, fresh cilantro leaves and a drizzle of lime juice.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: This recipe is naturally gluten-free. Ensure you use a gluten-free tortilla.
To make vegan: This recipe is naturally vegan.
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free.
How to switch up this recipe:
- Not vegan? These work great with normal dairy products as well. I love adding sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for creaminess!
- Use up your veggies. Bell peppers, zucchini and onion are the classic Fajita veggies, but any leftovers in your fridge will taste delicious once sauteed with the seasoning.
- Looking to boost your fibre? Fibre has so many benefits, so it doesn't hurt! Try adding some chickpeas to your sheet pan for a boost of fibre, protein and a satisfying crunch.
Leftover tofu Fajita filling will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. To reheat, add additional cheese and microwave for about 1.5-2 minutes.
When working with tofu, I highly suggest purchasing extra firm tofu. Firm tofu tends to be much softer and will not hold the same when baked.
To create the crispiest tofu, squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible! I recommend using a tofu press. If you don’t have one, you can wrap your tofu block in a clean towel and stack some heavy books or a cast iron pan on top.
Frequently Asked Questions
I love using these white corn tortillas.
Yes! Plain tofu is gluten free. As tofu is made from soybeans and there is no wheat, rye, oats or barley involved in the production, it is safe to consume if you have a gluten sensitivty or Celiac disease.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Try these for the next weeknight dinner!
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these sheet pan tofu fajitas, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Sheet Pan Tofu Fajitas (Vegan + Easy)
- 1 block extra firm tofu drained and cut into 1 inch thick cubes
- ½ yellow onion thinly sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced into strips
- 1 orange bell pepper thinly sliced into strips
- ½ zucchini thinly sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup dairy free shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground chili
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 x 4.5” corn tortillas
- 1 avocado diced
- 2 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Add onions, bell peppers, zucchini and tofu to a large sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fajita spice blend. Toss to combine.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Top with vegan cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- To serve: add fajita filling to a tortilla, top with avocado, fresh cilantro leaves and a drizzle of lime juice.