This savoury oatmeal bake is the perfect option for busy mornings. Packed with vegetables, protein and whole grain oats it's the perfect balanced breakfast!
Vegetable oatmeal: perfect for the savoury breakfast lovers
I have always been a huge fan of breakfast. Although I don't really tend to have a personal preference between sweet and savoury breakfast options, I was taking a quick scroll through my breakfast recipes and noticed 90% of them are sweet options! For some reason there is just a never ending list of sweet breakfast ideas building up in my head. I think there's just something so fun and unique about being able to make your breakfast taste like dessert. HOWEVER once I realized this, I knew I needed to level the playing feel for all the savoury breakfast lovers out there.
So I made it my personal mission to create a new breakfast idea that was not only easy to make, but also perfect for meal prepping AND a tasty and unique savoury breakfast option. I personally think this vegetable oatmeal bake checked all those boxes (and more).
Why you need these savoury baked oats
I'm an oatmeal lover. Honestly give me oats in any form and it's pretty much guaranteed I will love them. However I was a little hesitant about creating savoury baked oats. However I promise they are SO good!
If you still aren't convinced you need to jump on the savoury baked oats trend here are three reasons why you need to ASAP:
- They are incredibly easy to make- Seriously! This is a throw everything in a bowl and mix kind of recipe. There are minimal dishes to clean up and it takes only 10 minutes of hands on prep time!
- They taste like your favourite pizza- Oregano, basil, cheese and tomatoes- picture all your favourite pizza flavours combined in a perfectly compact handheld breakfast. That's what you can expect from this dish!
- They are PERFECT for meal prep- The best part about this vegetable oatmeal is how easy it is to freeze! Make this at the beginning fo the week and you have breakfast for the entire week!
Ingredients needed for this oatmeal with vegetables
Oats- You can't have baked oats without oats! Quick, minute or rolled oats will all work for this vegetable oatmeal! If you are gluten free just make sure you are using certified gluten free oats!
Vegetable broth- For flavour and moisture! Typically in baked oats you will use milk as the liquid of choice, however when I was developing this savoury baked oats recipe I made the choice to use vegetable broth. It turned out perfectly and added the perfect subtle vegetable flavour really adding to these savoury oats! I personally always like to choose a low sodium vegetable broth!
Eggs- To help hold these together (and for extra protein)!
Spices- Oregano, basil, garlic powder and red pepper flakes all come together to create the BEST pizza-like flavour in these savoury baked oats.
Vegetables- Bell peppers, spinach, zucchini and tomatoes are all you are going to need for this oatmeal with vegetables!
Cheese- I personally love the Mediterranean flair the feta cheese brings to this vegetable oatmeal, however any cheese would work including mozzarella and cheddar!
Sundried tomatoes- I LOVE sundried tomatoes and think they add such a nice flavour to these oats. If you don't have any on hand- don't worry you can skip them!
How to make veg oats
Believe me I understand that breakfast may not always be your top priority when you're running late in the morning. However as a Registered Dietitian I also know that breakfast is SO important! So I always liek to make sure my breakfast recipes are easy enough to make it impossible to skip!
Grab a bowl, a baking dish and your ingredients and lets get started!
Step one: In your mixing bowl combine your oats, spices, baking powder, veggie broth and eggs and mix until fully combined. Add in your vegetables and mix again.
Step two: Pour your savoury oat mixture into a greased 8x8 square baking dish. Top with your roma tomatoes and bake at 375F for about 45 minutes! Use this time to do those chores around the house you've been avoiding or catching up on bills or homework!
Step three: slice and enjoy! I like adding some additional toppings to mine but you can also eat it right away!
Frequently asked questions
Can I make this recipe vegan?
I have not personally tried! I am sure if you use an egg replacer or flax eggs it would still work in terms of taste however I am not 100% sure these oats would stick together as well as they do with normal oats.
If you decide to try let me know how it turns out! And don't forget to use vegan cheese!
How much would you consider one serving?
Personally I think it all depends on your hunger levels. I usually like to slice my baked oats into 9 equal pieces and I would say 2 is equivalent to a meal. I like to serve mine with some avocado and extra cheese!
Can I customize the vegetables in these veg oats?
Yes! You absolutely can. I personally like the mix of spinach, feta and tomatoes however use whatever you have in your fridge! This is the perfect clean out the fridge breakfast!
How can I store these savoury baked oats?
If you are planning on eating these within 5 days all you need to do is slice them up and store them in an airtight container in the fridge!
If you want to store them longer than 5 days just pop the airtight container in the freezer and store for up to 3 months.
To defrost: Place a slice of your savoury oatmeal bake on a plate and place in the microwave on the defrost function for 2 minutes. Microwave for an additional minute and 30 seconds and enjoy! Or you can airfry right out of the freezer at 375 for 7 minutes!
Is this vegetable oatmeal gluten free?
Yes! One of my favourite things about my oatmeal recipes is that they are 100% gluten free. Just make sure you are using gluten free certified oats and you are good to go!
**I also always recommend you check the labels on ALL ingredients you use to make sure they don't contain any hidden gluten.
More savoury breakfast ideas
If you loved these savoury baked oats you need to try more of my favourite savoury breakfast recipes (perfect for meal prep).
Some of my favourites include:
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this savoury oatmeal bake don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment below!
Savoury Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups oats quick, rolled or minute all work
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup zucchini grated
- ¼ cup chopped sundried tomatoes drained
- ½ cup bell peppers diced
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2 medium roma tomatoes sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a 8x8 inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, vegetable broth, eggs, baking powder and spices and mix until fully combined.
- Remove the excess water from the grated zucchini by wrapping it in a cheese cloth, or paper towel and gently squeezing over the sink.
- To the oat mixture, add sundried tomatoes, bell peppers, spinach, feta cheese and grated zucchini. Mix well.
- Pour your baked oat batter into your prepared baking dish. Top with sliced roma tomatoes and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Slice into 9 equal pieces and serve two bars per plate topped with additional feta cheese and sliced avocado.
**This recipe was made in collaboration with MadFit App