It's time to cozy up by the fire with my favourite white chocolate peppermint cookies, the tastiest festive treat to enjoy at all your holiday parties!
It's finally December, which means there's holiday baking shows on TV, candy canes at the grocery store, and my kitchen has become a cookie factory. I don't know about you, but I love making cookies to give to friends and family during the holidays, and these peppermint cookies with white chocolate chips are my go-to! Simple, minty and chocolatey- it checks all the boxes. I highly recommend putting on a festive movie (Love Actually, anyone?), your favourite PJs and spending a cozy evening baking these.
Table of contents
Why You Need These White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Are you in need of a new signature cookie recipe to bring to holiday cookie swaps? You're going to want to give this one a try. Thank me later!!
- Full of festive spirit- I love how certain tastes can really remind you of a certain time of year, and for me these white chocolate peppermint cookies always fill me with Christmas cheer. It's cheesy, but so true!
- Great for gifting- I'm always looking for a crowdpleaser cookie recipe to share at holiday parties, and this one usually does the trick.
- Freezer-friendly- I know these are technically holiday cookies, but sometime's it's April and I want a peppermint cookie. Put some of the dough in the freezer and your future self will thank you!
Main Ingredients for Holiday Cookies
All-purpose flour- We're keeping things simple with your standard all-purpose flour. However, if you're gluten-free oat flour does work too.
Butter- While I do love cookies with coconut oil like these, there's something special about a classic cookie made with good old butter.
Sugar- I used equal parts white and brown sugar, however you can always adjust the ratios based on what you have available. In terms of swaps, I would recommend sticking with a granulated sugar for best results!
Egg- Our binding agent that keeps everything together.
White chocolate- White chocolate and peppermint have got to be a magical pairing!
Peppermint- Crushed candy canes or peppermints both work.
How To Make These White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Step One: Preheat the oven to 350 F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Step Two: In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
Step Three: In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the butter and both sugars until smooth. Add in egg and vanilla extract and beat until fully combined.
Step Four: Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and continue to mix.
Step Five: Once your dough has formed, use a spatula to stir in the white chocolate and crushed candy canes.
Step Six: Roll dough into about 12 balls (using about 2 tablespoon of dough in each cookie) and gently flatten using the palm of your hand or the bottom of a glass until the cookies are about ½ an inch thick. Bake for about 13 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies are just golden.
Tips For The Prettiest Cookies
While all cookies taste delicious, we eat with our eyes too! To make these cookies look bakery-ready, I like saving some white chocolate chips and crushed peppermint to press into the top right before they go into the oven.
The other question is achieving a perfectly circular cookie. I am fond of an irregularly shaped cookie, but if the perfect circle is more your style there's an easy trick for that too! Simply bake your cookies as normal, then let them cool for 1-2 minutes. While they're still warm, use a cup or circular cookie cutter and gently place the rim down around the cookie and swirl it around. The cookies should round out nicely.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store these in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days for peak freshness. Alternatively, you can portion out the dough and roll into balls, then freeze them for up to 3 months.
Simply swap the all-purpose flour for oat flour. I would also make sure that the vanilla extract, white chocolate chips, and peppermint don't contain any wheat by-products if you have Celiac disease.
More Holiday Baking Recipes You Might Like
Still need more holiday baking ideas? I got you!
- The Ultimate Healthy Gingerbread Muffins
- 30-Min Iced Sugar Cookie Baked Oats
- 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Easy Chia Jam Linzer Cookies
P.S. I LOVE SEEING MY RECIPES IN ACTION! IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE THESE HOLIDAY COOKIES, DON’T FORGET TO TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM -@NOURISHEDBYNIC OR LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!
White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour oat flour does also work
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract optional for more peppermint flavour!
- ½ cup white chocolate chips can also chop up white baking chocolate and add in some chocolate chunks too
- ½ cup crushed candy canes or peppermints)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the butter and both sugars until smooth. Add in egg, peppermint extract and vanilla extract and beat until fully combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and continue to mix.
- Once your dough has formed, use a spatula to stir in the white chocolate and crushed candy canes.
- Roll dough into about 12 balls (using about 2 tablespoon of dough in each cookie) and gently flatten using the palm of your hand or the bottom of a glass until the cookies are about ½ an inch thick. Bake for about 13 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies are just golden.