These healthy gingerbread muffins are going to be your go-to snack this holiday season. They're gluten free, high in fibre, and full of warming spices!
It's officially holiday baking season!! Making seasonal treats is definitely one of the best parts of this time of year- but as much as peppermint shines in the spotlight, gingerbread will always have a special place in my heart (or should I say stomach?). I decided to make these oat flour gingerbread muffins because I wanted to incorporate my favourite wintery spices into a nourishing snack, and these don't disappoint! I'm so excited for you to give them a try.
Table of contents
Why You Need These Oat Flour Muffins
Baked goods are one of my favourite things to batch-prep, but I'm especially fond of these oat flour muffins for a couple of reasons:
- High fibre- Thanks to the whole grain oats in the flour, these oat flour gingerbread muffins make a great high fibre addition to your breakfast and snack rotation. We know how important fibre is for digestive health, and it's often lacking during the frenzy of other cookies and desserts.
- Gluten free- Gluten is not something to be worried about unless you have Celiac disease, but for those who can't tolerate it these gluten free gingerbread muffins do just the trick.
- Snack, breakfast or dessert- I love a yummy baked good that can do all of the above! These muffins have just the right amount of sweetness that satisfies my dessert craving, but don't overdo at breakfast either.
Main Ingredients For Healthy Gingerbread Muffins
- Oat flour- When I'm looking for oat flour recipes muffins tend to be a good choice. I'm a big fan of oat flour because it's gluten free, a whole grain, and high in fibre. I used this one, however you can always make your own by blitzing rolled or quick oats in a blender/food processor until it reaches a flour consistency.
- Pumpkin puree- I love using pumpkin puree in baking for the moisture it adds. Not only does it help everything bind together, it's a great source of vitamin A!
- Honey and molasses- Molasses is essential for the classic gingerbread flavour. It can have a bit of a strong flavour though, so I used a combination of honey and molasses together.
- Spices- Gingerbread is usually spiced with a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. If you're missing one of these it's not a big deal, but I would definitely make sure you don't skip the cinnamon!
- Coconut oil- You can also swap this for another neutral-tasting oil.
- White chocolate- Obviously a white chocolate drizzle is optional, but are you really going to skip it?
How To Make Oat Flour Gingerbread Muffins
Step One: In a large bowl, combine pumpkin purée, honey and coconut oil in a bowl using an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then and add milk, molasses and vanilla extract.
Step Two: In a separate bowl, whisk together oat flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Step Three: Slowly add the Oat Flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
Step Four: Bake at 375F for about 20 minutes. You can check if they're fully done when a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Step Five: Once cooled, drizzle with melted white chocolate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, I love having them for breakfast! The best part about oat flour muffins is that they already check the fiber box, so all you have to add is protein and some colour. I sometimes serve these with some hard-boiled eggs and whatever fruit I've got on hand.
You can! Make sure they cool completely to room temperature, then store them in an airtight freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
Yes, it works very similarly.
More Recipes You Might Like
If you enjoyed these healthy gingerbread muffins, I'd highly suggest these other recipes for your next bake!
- The Best Oat Flour Pumpkin Muffins
- Cozy Cinnamon Sugar Baked Oats
- Fudgy Vegan Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Cozy Chai Oatmeal Cookies
P.S. I LOVE SEEING MY RECIPES IN ACTION! IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE THESE HEALTHY GINGERBREAD MUFFINS, DON’T FORGET TO TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM -@NOURISHEDBYNIC OR LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!
The Ultimate Healthy Gingerbread Muffins
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil melted and cooled
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 medium eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1+¾ cup Oat Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Top with: drizzled melted white chocolate
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin purée, honey and coconut oil in a bowl using an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs one at a time, and add milk, molasses and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oat flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add the Oat Flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bake at 375F for about 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, drizzle with melted white chocolate.