Looking for quick and easy breakfast ideas that won’t make you late for work? I’ve got you covered with 10 nutritious and delicious vegan breakfast meal prep recipes!
I know eating breakfast can sometimes feel like a burden, and getting up earlier to cook a balanced meal isn't exactly appealing to most people, but what if I told you there's a way around that. You can have a balanced, delicious breakfast, without the groggy morning prep.
Today I’ll teach you the importance of breakfast, and give you 10 make ahead vegan breakfast options. So you never have to skip the most important meal of the day again!
The Importance of Breakfast
I’m sure you’ve heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but have you ever wondered why?
Eating breakfast is so crucial for your mind and body to function efficiently in the mornings. Although it can be tempting, skipping it may leave you not only hungry, but also unmotivated and lacking energy.
Breakfast provides us with much needed energy, following a long overnight fast. It gives our body fuel to kick start our day, while also providing our brain with energy. This helps to eliminate brain fog and can increase our mental alertness. Eating breakfast will also stimulate our metabolism, preparing it for the meals and snacks ahead!
A delicious, balanced breakfast is the perfect way to start your day in order to ensure your body and mind are prepared for the day ahead!
Building a Balanced Vegan Breakfast
For someone who is vegan, or is trying to incorporate more plant based meals into their diet, it may seem more difficult to prepare a balanced breakfast. However, it doesn't have to be.
The key to making your vegan breakfast meal prep balanced is to ensure it includes a few crucial elements.
Key Vegan Breakfast Nutrients:
To make sure your breakfast will be both nutritious and satisfying, you’ll want to include all of the following nutrients:
- Protein - Protein has several important functions in the body. It helps build our muscles and regulate body processes such as producing hormones and antibodies to keep us healthy. Including a protein source in your breakfast will not only provide your body with the means to undergo these processes, but will also help you feel fuller for longer. This helps avoid reaching for a snack an hour later.
- Some examples of vegan protein sources that you can add into your breakfast are: chia/hemp seeds, tofu, edamame, chickpea flour, and vegan protein powder.
- Carbohydrates - Carbohydrates are the body's preferred energy source. Although carbohydrates are often demonized, they play such an important role in energizing our bodies. Including a carbohydrate source in your breakfast is important to provide you with energy to kickstart your morning after a long overnight fast.
- Tip - Choosing a carb source that is high in fibre is even more beneficial. Your body takes longer to digest fibre, meaning it provides you with more long term energy, and helps you to stay full for longer!
- Some examples of fibre rich carbs that you can include in your breakfast are whole grains, fruits such as raspberries and apples, and vegetables such as carrots and broccoli.
- Fats - Fats contribute to the flavour, texture and aroma of our food, helping us feel satisfied after a meal. Along with the satisfaction that fats bring us, it is also needed in our bodies to help build and restore body cells, and to absorb certain nutrients.
- Some ideas of vegan fat sources that you can include in your breakfast are avocados, nuts/nut butters, and olive oil.
Canada’s Food Guide can be a great tool in helping you assemble a balanced breakfast that includes all of these essential elements. Try filling half your plate with fruits and vegetables, a quarter with whole grains, and a quarter with protein foods.
10 Vegan Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas
Find more easy Vegan recipe ideas HERE!
Next time you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast, remember that your body is relying on that food to give you energy and brain power to carry you through the morning!
Meal prepping a vegan breakfast that includes protein, fat and carbohydrates is a great way to ensure you’re providing your body with necessary fuel, even when short on time.
There are LOTS more easy nutrition tricks where this came from so make sure you follow along on my social media sites- @nourishedbynic or join my email newsletter list to get first access to all my favourite nutrition hacks and easy recipes!!
* Contribution by Allison Vanier, a Nutrition and Food student at Toronto Metropolitan University