These 4 ingredient zucchini and edamame fritters make a tasty snack or high protein addition to any meal. Loved by both kids and adults!
Who doesn't love a minimal 4 ingredient recipe? These zucchini and edamame fritters are so easy and a fun new way to eat your veggies. Thanks to the edamame, they also have a boost of plant-based protein.
One of my favourite things about this recipe is how versatile it is. Throw it on a salad, add it to wraps, stuff it in a pita or serve it on a snack plate- you can enjoy these fritters in so many different meals. It's truly the best meal prep because I can guarantee you won't get sick of it by the end of the week.
- Edamame beans
In a food processor or a high-powered blender combine edamame, shredded zucchini, flour, egg and additional spices and green onion (if using).
Blend until smooth, about 2 minutes.
Air fryer method- Place a single sheet of parchment paper in the basket of your air fryer (ONLY on the bottom). Drop the batter into circles on the parchment paper- each fritter should be about 3 tablespoon of batter. Be careful not to overcrowd your air fryer as they will not bake! Air fry at 390F for about 12 minutes (flipping halfway) until tops are golden brown. All air fryers are different so cook time may slightly change.
Stove top method- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoon of cooking oil. Once oil is hot, drop edamame/ zucchini mixture into the hot pan-each fritter should be about 3 tablespoon of batter. Do not overcrowd the pan. Once edges of the fritters begin to firm up and turn golden brown, flip the fritters and cook until both sides are brown!
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Use gluten-free all purpose flour.
To make vegan: Use a flax egg. Mix 2.5 tablespoon warm water + 1 tablespoon ground flax, then let it sit until it gels.
Missing an ingredient? Try this:
- Edamame: Use an equal amount of any beans (or even chickpeas) in place of the edamame. As edamame is typically a drier bean, I would recommend adding an additional 1 tablespoon of flour if you swap them out.
- Food processor or blender
- Air fryer or pan
These zucchini and edamame fritters can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If freezing, defrost by microwaving for 30 seconds to 1 minute. You can also try toasting them slightly in the oven or on the stove to crisp them up a bit.
This recipe really depends on how much moisture is in your zucchini. The smaller the zucchini, the less water it will contain. If your zucchini is larger, I recommend wrapping the shredded zucchini in a kitchen towel or cheesecloth and gently squeezing to remove excess water prior to adding to the blender!
This batter is wet, however, If you find your batter is still VERY wet (to the point that it will not hold its shape at all), add 1 additional tablespoon of flour. It should be able to hold the fritter shape.
Frequently Asked Questions
Edamame beans are an amazing source of plant-based protein helping to make these fritters a balanced snack or a great protein source to add to meals! As edamame is soy-based, it is a complete protein as well (aka contains all the protein building blocks). Plus, they provide a beautiful green colour which always makes things more fun!
The batter is quite wet for these fritters, but it should hold its shape and shouldn’t be runny when placed on the parchment paper or in the pan. If you find your batter is runny, add an additional 1 tablespoon of flour.
I love pairing these zucchini and edamame fritters with my herb and garlic cottage cheese dip or a tzatziki.
I personally love the air fryer method. I find the fritters puff up a little more and don’t get as soggy after you let them sit for a while! If you don't have an air fryer though, the stovetop works just fine.
More Easy Sides Recipes
If you liked these fritters, try out these other easy recipes:
- Easy Chickpea Vegetable Fritters
- Healthy Greek Turkey Meatballs with Feta
- Turkey and Cheese Roll Ups
- Easy Air Fryer Pizza Bites
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these zucchini and edamame fritters, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
4 Ingredient Zucchini and Edamame Fritters (High Protein)
- 1 cup edamame beans shelled, frozen and defrosted
- 1 medium zucchini shredded (with excess water squeezed out), about 1 cup
- 4 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 egg or flax egg
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 green onion diced
- In a food processor or a high-powered blender combine edamame, shredded zucchini, flour, egg and additional spices and green onion (if using). Blend until smooth (about 2 minutes).
Air Fryer Method
- Place a single sheet of parchment paper in the basket of your air fryer (ONLY on the bottom). Drop the edamame/ zucchini batter into circles on the parchment paper (each fritter should be about 3 tablespoon of batter). Be careful not to overcrowd your air fryer as they will not bake properly.
- Air fry at 390F for about 12 minutes (flipping ½ way) until tops are golden brown (all air fryers are different so cook time may slightly change).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Once oil is hot, drop edamame/ zucchini mixture into the hot pan (each fritter should be about 3 tablespoon of batter)- do not overcrowd the pan.
- Once edges of the fritters begin to firm up and turn golden brown, flip the fritters and cook until both sides are brown!
Leave a Reply