Ready in 30 minutes, these Air Fryer Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers are a delicious, healthier spin on the classic sandwich!
Between holiday parties and game day Sunday's we are in the peak of appetizer season! I'm always looking for easy appetizer ideas that are quick to make and healthier for you. Some of my favourite's include my higher-protein buffalo chicken dip, turkey and cheese roll ups and super easy loaded hummus.
For this recipe, I was inspired by the Philly Cheesesteak Downs recipe in the new COSORI gameday recipe book but I added a little Dietitian flair! By swapping the rolls for mini bell peppers, you have the perfect tasty appetizer.
Enjoy all the flavor of a classic Philly cheesesteak sandwich, while adding lots of extra veggies into your diet!
Why this recipe is Dietitian approved:
- Extra serving of vegetables. Getting enough vegetables in can get a little boring. Finding new ways to add an extra serving of veggies into your lifestyle without sacrificing taste like using mini sweet peppers as the base is a great way to make it a little more fun!
- Gluten-free. If you are someone living a gluten-free lifestyle, finding gluten-free alternatives to your favorite foods can be difficult! These air fryer Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers are a great gluten-free option!
- Under 30 minutes. Looking for a healthy appetizer in a pinch? This is the perfect option for a last minute appetizer everyone will love!
- Sirloin steak- Any steak will work! The most important is that it's a cut that isn't too thick- look for around 1” thick. See substitution notes below if you wish to use a different protein.
- Bell peppers- Any color bell peppers will work! I personally prefer the taste of red, yellow and orange as green are normally a little less sweet!
- Onion- I find yellow onions provide the best flavor without being overpowering, though white or red onion can be used if you are in a pinch!
- Mini sweet peppers- To make these appetizer size we use mini sweet peppers, though larger peppers can be used if you are looking to make these a meal!
- Provolone cheese- For an authentic Philly cheesesteak experience! See substitutions below if you are looking for other cheese options.
- Olive oil- Any neutral flavoured oil will work!
- Spices- The only spices you need are salt and black pepper!
The complete ingredient list with measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- COSORI TurboBlaze 6.0-Quart Air Fryer - This brand new air fryer is a staple in my kitchen! Powered by a dynamic DC Motor with 5-fan speeds, this air fryer is fast, easy to use and efficient! The nonstick Crisper Plate helps keep the air fryer clean while ensuring your food gets cooked to perfection! (Use the code NICOLE20 to save 20% on the TurboBlaze air fryer until December 24TH).
Before you begin- place the crisper plate into the COSORI Air Fryer basket. Select the Preheat function, adjust temperature to 450°F, then press Start.
Place the cut sirloin, bell peppers,
onions, and olive oil in a medium
bowl, season to taste with kosher
salt and freshly ground black
pepper, and toss to combine
Place the sirloin and pepper
mixture onto the preheated
Select the Broil function, adjust
time to 6 minutes, then press
Remove the cooked sirloin, peppers and onions and set aside. Arrange mini pepper halves in a single layer on the crisper plate.
Fill the mini bell pepper halves with cooked sirloin, bell peppers and onion mixture. Spread the remaining filling over the peppers.
Select the Broil function, adjust
time to 10 minutes, then press
Open the basket when there are 5 minutes remaining on the
timer and spread the 5 slices of provolone cheese over the cooked meat and peppers.
Hint: Not all of the filling needs to be in the peppers! Layering it on top of the peppers with the cheese will create Philly cheesesteak pepper 'nachos' that are sure to be a hit at any party!
- Mini sweet peppers - slice larger bell peppers and use them as 'nachos' or stuff the filling into are bell peppers for a meal-sized option!
- Sirloin- use ground beef, ground turkey, chicken breast or another protein of your choice.
- Provolone - the provolone cheese can be replaced with any mild tasting cheese of choice. some great options include Havarti or mozzarella!
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or chili powder while cooking the sirloin, bell peppers and onions for a spicy addition
- Deluxe - add mushrooms into the filling and top with sliced green onions for a fancy twist!
I also have a vegetarian air fryer stuffed pepper option on my website as well!
If you have leftovers- store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
If you would like to reheat them- use the COSORI TurboBlaze reheat function, setting the temperature to 400°F for 5 minutes.
I do not recommend freezing these as the peppers will get soggy once reheated.
Try not to overcrowd your air fryer! Overcrowding the air fryer basket can lead to uneven cooking. Placing your sirloin, peppers and onions in an even layer on the crisper plate for best results!
If you are having trouble with the filling staying in the pepper, try choosing wider mini sweet peppers for a deeper base and the best chance of ensuring the filling stays in the.
Yes! If you are looking for a larger, meal-sized version of these stuffed peppers, you can divide the filling between larger bell peppers, sliced in half!
Yes you can! If you are making these for a party and would like to make them in advance- I recommend cooking the filling and slicing the peppers ahead of time. When you are ready to serve, fill the peppers and continue with the instructions as stated in the recipe card.
These are a great source of veggies, fat and protein. If you are looking for a balanced meal, I recommend pairing these with some extra veggies such as a salad and some quinoa for a fiber-filled carbohydrate!
This post was sponsored by COSORI, for more easy game day air fryer recipes check out the Gameday Gourmet E-book!
More easy air fryer recipes
Everyone loves an easy, convenient recipe!
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these Air Fryer Phill Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked them!
Air Fryer Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- 1.5 lbs boneless top sirloin cut into ⅛-inch-thick strips
- 1.5 cups bell peppers thinly sliced
- ½ of 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 12 mini sweet pepper sliced in half lengthwise, and de-seeded
- 6 sliced provolone cheese
- Before you begin- place the crisper plate into the COSORI Air Fryer basket. Select the Preheat function, adjust temperature to 450°F, then press Start.
- Place the cut sirloin, bell peppers,onions, and olive oil in a medium bowl, season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground blackpepper, and toss to combine
- Place the sirloin and pepper mixture onto the preheated crisper plate.Select the Broil function, adjust time to 6 minutes, then press start.
- Remove the cooked sirloin, peppers and onions and set aside. Arrange mini pepper halves in a single layer on the crisper plate.
- Fill the mini bell pepper halves with cooked sirloin, bell peppers and onion mixture. Spread the remaining filling over the peppers.Select the Broil function, adjust time to 10 minutes, then press Start.
- Open the basket when there are 5 minutes remaining on thetimer and spread the 5 slices of provolone cheese over the cooked meat and peppers.