This easy apple pie breakfast cookie is the perfect fall breakfast! It's ready in 10 minutes, is packed with fibre & protein AND it tastes just like your favourite dessert.
By this point I think we all know my love of air fryer brekafast cookies. And if you don't -this air fryer cookie is honestly what put me on the map as a content creator. To this day it's reached over 22 million people on Tikok and over 10 million people on Instagram. Well + Good actually recently did a feature post on it and it's still my one claim to fame!
I always get inspired by new seasons and holiday flavours so you KNOW I had to create an apple pie version of my favourite brekafast! Introducing: the apple pie breakfast cookie (aka your new favourite breakfast). PLUS for everyone that has been asking this recipe is for a healthy oatmeal breakfast cookies no banana version!
Why you need this healthy apple breakfast idea
If you still aren't convinced here are four reasons why you need this apple pie breakfast cookie as soon as possible:
- It's the perfect addition to a balanced breakfast. As a dietitian making a balanced breakfast is huge for me! This air fryer breakfast cookie is made with oats for fiber, protein powder for protein and muscle recovery, and apples for additional fibre and nutrients! So you know this is avegan breakfast cookie you can feel good about. Or skip the protein powder and serve this with some yogurt for the perfect balanced breakfast!
- It tastes like fall. Apple pie is probably my all time favourite pie. I love the cinnamon apple combination. It literally tastes like a hug in pie form so I HAD to create a healthy apple breakfast cookie version!
- It's gluten free and vegan! Since this cookie is made with just oats it's actually flour free, meaning you could even use the batter to make mini apple pie oatmeal cookies! There is also no dairy and no eggs so bonus for anyone following a vegan or plant based diet.
- It's perfect for meal prep. Breakfast cookies are the perfect quick, grab-and-go option for a busy morning. Simply make a few of these cookies ahead of time, store them in the fridge or freezer and you're good to go.
Ingredients needed for this air fryer breakfast cookie
Oats- quick, rolled, or minute oats all work perfectly well! I personally use these oats, but that’s just because that we buy them in bulk and always have them on hand! PS. if you want more of a typical
cookie” consistency, try blending your oats or using oat flour!
Protein powder- This is 100% optional! I love using a little bit of vegan vanilla protein ( this one is my absolute favourite) for extra sweetness, flavour and to help keep me full throughout the day.
Applesauce- In all my healthy apple breakfast recipes I use unsweetened applesauce. I like to either make my own (we do this once a year and freeze it after apple picking) OR pick up a jar of unsweetened applesauce at the store. The difference between sweetened and unsweetened applesauce is in the name- one has added sugar and one is just apples!
Cinnamon- For all the cozy apple pie flavours in this apple pie brekafast cookie. You can also use apple pie spice if you have it on hand!
Coconut oil- I love adding coconut oil to my vegan recipes. I find it's the perfect dairy-free butter substitute in baked goods or this vegan breakfast cookie. If you aren’t a coconut fan, you can substitute this one for one with butter or even some runny cashew butter (or any nut butter the taste might be altered slightly)!
Maple syrup- I used a little maple syrup to sweeten this breakfast cookie up a little and help give it that classic apple pie flavour. Honey would also work however the maple syrup and cinnamon spice combination works perfectly together.
Optional mix ins: diced apple
How to make a vegan breakfast cookie
The best thing about this healthy apple breakfast is it only requires TWO MINUTES of prep time.
Seriously, just add everything into a small mixing bowl and mix until a dough forms. Note: you may need to use your hands to really mix everything together.
Form your dough into a ball, place it on an air fryer liner or small piece of parchment paper and gently press down until the cookie is about ¼ inch thick. ound out the edges using your fingers and air fry for about 10 minutes.
Add your toppings and voila! The perfect easy breakfast (or divide this into two cookies and have it for snacks!
Frequently asked questions
Can I leave out the protein powder?
YES! I personally like adding the protein powder to this vegan breakfast cookie for extra flavour as well as extra protein! Although oats alone are a great addition to a balnced breakfast I alway slike adding some source of protein with them to really balance it out and help manage blood sugar levels at the same time!
If you want to replace the protein powder simply just leave it out and add about an extra tablespoon of oats and a little more maple syrup!
HELP! My breakfast cookie didn't cook evenly what did I do wrong?
Don't worry it more than likely was not your fault. I've noticed every single air fryer is slightly different in how they heat and cook. Because of this I always recommend watching your cookie at around the 8 minute mark and adjusting the temperature or the time accordingly.
- if your cookie looks like its burning on the top but the inside is uncooked, decrease the temperature and cook for a longer time
- if your cookie looks underbaked in general increase the temperature and the cook time
- If your cookie looks overcooked in general decrease the temperature and the cook time
Can I make these healthy apple breakfast cookies ahead of time?
You absolutley can. You have two options. Option one: prepare your dough ahead of time, store in the fridge in a dough ball (wrap in cling wrap) and bake the morning of. OR, option two: prepare multiple brekafast cookies, following cooking instructions to fully cook them and store them cooked in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container. When you are ready to eat them, just use the microwave or air fryer to reheat it. Note: if storing in the freezer, use the defrost function on your microwave for about 2 minutes prior to ir frying for best results.
Can I bake this breakfast cookie in the oven?
So I know the airfryer is one of my favourite kitchen gadgets (ps. you NEED to try my air-fryer brussel sprouts). I also know that that not everyone has an air fryer available to them. That is why the answer to this question is YES, of course! This cookie can absolutely be made in the oven.
I would recommend:
- Following the directions to create the cookie dough as the recipe states.
- Place the dough on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes (or until the cookie top begins to brown)
More easy breakfast ideas:
If you know me, you know I LOVE a good easy breakfast. Here are some of my curry favourite easy breakfast recipes:
- The original air fryer breakfast cookie (banana chocolate chip)
- Pumpkin- vegan breakfast cookie
- Apple pie oat cups
- Meal prep breakfast burritos
- Apple cinnamon overnight oats
- Spinach and feta egg cups
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this apple pie breakfast cookie don't forget to tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment below how it turned out!
Apple Pie Breakfast Cookie
- ½ cup oats quick, minute or rolled all work
- 2 tablespoon vanilla protein powder see notes* for substitutions
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil softened
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ of a medium apple diced
- plain Greek yogurt
- runny peanut butter
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F (see oven instructions in text above).
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients (except apples) and mix until a dough begins to form. Add in your diced apples and stir again (you may need to use your hands).
- Roll your dough into a ball and gently press down and shape to form a circle (cookie should be about ¾ inch thick). Place your cookie in the basket of your air fryer (I recommend using an air fryer liner or a small piece of parchment paper under the cookie to avoid sticking). Air fry for abut 10 minutes **see note below.
- Once your cookie is done, top with yogurt (or even icecream), drizzle with peanut butter and enjoy!
Your recipes are great. Making the apple pie breakfast cookie right now!!
The perfect way to have apple pie for breakfast! It's satiating and delicious!
I am SO glad you enjoyed this recipe Saralyn! The apple pie version of my breakfast cookie is one of my favourites!
Just made. Topped with Greek yoghurt 2% and berries. Delish.
The perfect way to eat apple pie for breakfast! It was simple to make and tasted so good! I topped it with Greek yogurt and peanut butter and it was so delicious and satisfying! #nourishedholiday
this is a favorite breakfast! (along with all the other breakfast cookies :))