These chocolate covered dates are going to be your new go-to sweet treat. Ready in only 10 minutes AND completely vegan, they make a delicious balanced snack!
Who else always needs a sweet something-something after dinner? I'm raising both hands! Seriously though, these dates with chocolate always hit the spot. As the holiday season rolls around, I also love making them for family and friends- they make the perfect little treat for snacking AND gifting! After all, who wouldn't say no to stuffed dates with walnuts?
Table of contents
Why You Need These Vegan Stuffed Dates
If you still need more convincing, here are the top three reasons I'm obsessed with this recipe:
- Batch-prep friendly- When I do my meal prep, I love including a sweet treat or dessert. These fit all the prep criteria because they're fast and last long in the freezer, meaning I'll have my snacks set for the whole week!
- Blood sugar balance- I love satisfying my sweet tooth in a way that I know won't leave me feeling tired from a blood sugar crash later. That's why I love stuffed dates with walnuts- adding that tiny bit of protein and fat is important in keeping my blood sugar stable throughout the day.
- Customizable- Variety is the spice of life, and this recipe is extremely customizable based on what you've got on hand! I have some of my favourite flavour combos listed below.
Main Ingredients for Chocolate Covered Dates
- Dates- I went with medjool dates, however any variety works well. I'm obsessed with dates because they're like nature's candy- packed with natural sweetness, but also containing fibre, potassium, and other nutrients.
- Walnuts- A good source of omega-3 fats, which are important for brain health. Or choose your nut of choice!
- Chocolate chips- Dark, semi-sweet, it all works! If you'd like to keep this vegan, choose a plant-based brand. Not only is chocolate delicious, it also contains antioxidants (especially the higher the cocoa %)!
- Flaky sea salt- Sweet and salty, am I right?!
How to Make These Walnuts Stuffed Dates
Step One: Carefully slice each date length wise and remove the pit. Make sure you don't cut all the way through, so one side is still intact.
Step Two: Stuff about 1 teaspoon of chopped walnuts into the center cavity of each date.
Step Three: Drizzle with melted chocolate (or coat in chocolate if desired).
Step Four: Sprinkle the dates with flaky sea salt. Place dates in the freezer until chocolate hardens.
Step Five: Store in the freezer in an airtight container.
Bonus Flavour Combinations
The best thing about this recipe is the endless ways to switch it up. As long as you have dates with chocolate, you've got a good base! Here are some other combos I like doing:
- Crushed freeze-dried strawberries and desiccated coconut
- Peanut butter bits and mini chocolate chips
- Tahini (for my friends with nut allergies!)
- Chopped up candy bars (I'm obsessed with Skor)
- Raspberry chia jam and pistachios
Use what you have in your pantry and get creative!
Frequently Asked Questions
Like other dried fruits, dates are relatively high in carbohydrates. But if you haven't heard me say this before, here it is: carbs are our friends! We don't need to avoid them. Pairing them with walnuts also helps to keep our blood sugar nice and steady.
It depends on your fillings, and how big you chop the nuts! If you go with the classic walnuts stuffed dates, you may want to let them sit on the counter for a couple minutes to slightly soften. If your dates are filled with just nut butter, they're typically fine just out of the freezer.
More Sweet Treat Recipes
If you liked these chocolate covered dates, you'll be a fan of these other recipes on the blog:
- Protein Peanut Butter Cups
- 6 Ingredient Freezer Banana Snickers Bites
- Easy Vegan Caramel Slice
- No Bake Easy Oatmeal Cookie Energy Balls
P.S. I LOVE SEEING MY RECIPES IN ACTION! IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE THESE WALNUTS STUFFED DATES, DON’T FORGET TO TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM -@NOURISHEDBYNIC OR LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW!
Chocolate Covered Dates (With Walnuts)
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates about 10 dates
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips melted
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling optional
- Carefully slice each date length wise.
- Stuff about 1 teaspoon of chopped walnuts into the center cavity of each date.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate (or coat in chocolate if desired).
- Sprinkle the dates with flaky sea salt. Place dates in the freezer until chocolate hardens.
- Store in the freezer in an airtight container.
I have such a sweet tooth. With the high fibre of dates, and good fats of walnuts, I don’t spike my sugar levels so intensely. Great idea and easy recipe!!!
This has been one of my favourites whenever I've been craving something sweet. It gives me energy and is easy to make!
I love dates! I have found so many great uses for them from breads to oatmeal to a quick snack. This is perfect for when you need a sweet treat. I filled mine with a little peanut butter, coated them in dark chocolate and sprinkled some chopped pecans on top. I have a little stash of them in the fridge for when a sweet craving hits. Yum!
I am so glad you enjoyed these! The peanut butter and chopped pecans sounds AMAZING!