Que the nostalgia. These DIY pizza lunchables are an adult version of your favourite childhood food. Ready in 10 minutes and packed with protein and veggies, these are sure to be a new meal prep lunch staple.
Why does it always seem like only the kids get to have fun lunches? Kids have options like fun DIY pizzas, happy face sandwiches and mini cheese and cracker boxes - and we're stuck with the boring leftovers. Well....NOT ANYMORE.
It's not a secret that I am a HUGE fan of the adult lunchable when it comes to meal prepping easy, work lunches. From Mexican inspired tuna salads, to turkey roll ups and chicken salad I love an easy make-ahead protein packed lunch. Which is why I've made it my goal to recreate my favourite childhood lunches- while giving them a healthier, more balanced twist!
These DIY pizza lunchables are the perfect easy lunch. They're packed with protein, contain lots of veggies and they're filling enough to fuel you throughout the day! Plus they taste AMAZING (dare I say better than the originals) so these are a lunch you will actually get excited about bringing to work.
Why this recipe is dietitian approved:
If you need more reasons to make these DIY pizza lunchables here are three:
- Ready in 10 minutes- As someone who absolutely hates spending a lot of time making lunch, having options that come together in less than 15 minutes is KEY to ensuring I fuel my body. These pizza lunchables are no bake and very minimal prep!
- Balanced lunch option- Protein, fiber, fats and veggies- these lunchables have it all!
- Customizable- Feel free to customize these with any toppings you like! Get as creative as you want and really make these a lunch YOU will get excited about eating!
- Mini Naan breads ( I found some at Metro in the bakery section)- if you can find whole grain that is amazing!
- Bell peppers ( red and green)
- Low sugar tomato sauce
- Turkey pepperoni sticks
- Cottage cheese
- Italian seasoning blend
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
In a sectioned container, arrange mini naan, diced bell peppers and sliced turkey pepperoni sticks.
In a small Ziploc bag add tomato sauce. To make the cottage cheese topping- add cottage cheese and spices into the container and mix well.
To assemble your DIY pizza lunchables- Top each mini naan with some tomato sauce and cottage cheese mixture. Finish each pizza off with turkey slices and bell peppers.
Substitutions and variations
To make gluten-free: Use gluten free mini-naan (or you can slice large naan into bite sized pieces)
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free so it's a great school safe lunchbox idea
To make dairy-free: Unfortunately I have not found a good dairy free cottage cheese option yet, but if you think of any way to make this dairy free please let me know!
This recipe is pretty versatile when it comes to your pizza toppings. Feel free to customize these with any vegetables of choice, any deli meat or even any sauce (pesto would be amazing)!
Some other potential substitutions are:
- If you cannot find mini naan rounds, a great option is either mini pitas or making your own bite sized naan by slicing up a large one!
- Tomato sauce can easily be substituted for pizza sauce!
These DIY pizza lunchables are great for meal prep! They can store in the fridge once assembled in an airtight container for up to 5 days!
I like using mini muffin liners to help keep toppings separated. Another great option is to use smaller containers!
If making these for kids- I encourage you to let them get involved in choosing they toppings they want to add to their boxes!
Frequently asked questions
Yes you can! I will note that the texture of the cottage cheese will become slightly more runny making it a little harder to add to your pizza lunchables but the texture will be smooth and creamy!
I personally try to look for a lower sugar tomato sauce when possible! I like to keep the sugar below 5g/ serving to minimize added sugars in my diet. My personal favourite is the Victoria's marinara sauce from Costco.
I recommend bringing a spoon with you! That way you can easily add the cottage cheese mixture and sauce directly onto the mini naan.
Yes you absolutely can! You can either: pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds or air fry or place them in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350 F.
Yes it is! However to ensure I am getting all the nutrients I need I would recommend packing a snack extra fruits and veggies for an additional snack!
Truthfully this DIY pizza lunchable does have more sodium than I would typically like to see in a lunchbox. Unfortunately cottage cheese typically does have a decent amount of sodium as does pepperoni. If you would like to decrease the sodium I recommend looking for a low sodium cottage cheese option and swapping out the pepperoni with shredded chicken!
More easy lunchbox ideas
If you loved these DIY pizza lunchables you will LOVE my other easy lunch ideas.
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these DIY pizza lunchables, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
DIY Pizza Lunchable
- 1 cup Cottage cheese
- ¼ teaspoon Italian spice blend
- ⅛ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Onion powder
- ¼ cup Tomato sauce
- 8 mini Naan bread rounds
- 2 Turkey pepperoni sticks thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup Bell peppers diced
- To make the cottage cheese topping- mix together cottage cheese, Italian spice blend, garlic and onion powder.
- In a small Ziploc bag add tomato sauce.
- In a sectioned container, arrange mini naan, diced bell peppers and sliced turkey pepperoni sticks. Add cottage cheese mixture and sauce packet.
- Store in the fridge until ready to eat and don't forget to pack a spoon!