These air fryer carrot fries are good enough to convert any cooked carrot hater. All you need are a few simple ingredients and you have an easy vegan side dish or healthy snack to satisfy that salt craving!
Why you need to make carrots in air fryer
If you are like me and have grown up turning your head at cooked carrots any chance you got, I am here to convert you. Believe me I never would have thought I would be here raving about how good carrots are but these air fryer carrot fries are GAME CHANGING. Picture crispy, perfectly spiced sweet potato fries BUT they
I promise if you are a cooked carrot hater these will change your mind. Instead of the mushy, bland side dish you remember these are crispy, slightly sweet and the perfect amount of spicy. Try them once and soon enough you will be wanting them with every single meal.
Still not convinced? Here are three reasons why you need these air fryer carrot sticks ASAP:
- They're easy!- Seriously, all you need is 20 minutes and seven simple ingredients and you'll be snacking on this crispy snack!
- They're packed with favour- Perfectly spiced with just the right amount of chili powder and natural sweetness from the carrots I promise these are not the cooked carrots you remember as a child.
- They're a nutritious option- Full of fibre, vitamin A, beta carotene and calcium these crispy carrot fries are an amazing alternative to your traditional fries, the perfect side dish to any meal OR a nutritious and fun snack even the kids will love! Because who doesn't want to eat "fries" for a snack??
Ingredients needed for crispy carrot fries
Carrots- You can't have carrot fries without carrots! For the recipe all you need is 1 pound of large carrots (this is about 3 large carrots). If you wish to double or triple the recipe feel free too! We usually buy a 3 or 5 pound bag at our grocery store, just don't forget to wash them first!
Spices- paprika, onion powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and chili powder are all you are going to need to make the ultimate air fryer carrot sticks! (plus a little salt and black pepper if you desire!)
Olive oil- You can use any cooking oil such as avocado oil, canola oil etc. This helps coat the carrots to help them crisp up while cooking.
Cornstarch- Tossing the carrots in a few tablespoons of cornstarch helps dry them out prior to air frying. This helps create the absolute crispiest carrot fries possible. I would highly recommend not skipping this step!
Sriracha yogurt mayo sauce- My favourite dipping sauce for these carrots in air fryer! All you need is plain yogurt of choice, sriracha sauce, a little mayonnaise (for added creaminess- can also just add additional yogurt), and a little lime juice!
Air fryer- This isn’t an ingredient but to make these air fryer carrot fries you will also need an air fryer. I personally love this one! However any air fryer will work!
How to make air fryer carrot sticks
This recipe is incredibly easy to make!
Step one: to make these carrots in air fryer, wash and peel (or just wash and scrub very well) one pound of large carrots (about three large carrots) and cut them into ¼ inch thick fries. It helps to cut the carrots into 2 inch pieces and then quarter them vertically.
Step two: Add your carrot sticks or "fries" into a large mixing bowl and toss with cornstarch. Tip: really ensure all of the cornstarch is used to cot the fries and not just falling to the bottom of the bowl. This is a super important step if you want CRISPY fries!
Step three: Add your olive oil and spices and toss until the carrot fries are fully coated.
Step four: Pop them into the basket of your air fryer in a single layer (for the CRISPIEST fries this may need to be done in two batches depending on the size of your air fryer). Air fry at 400F for about 16-20 minutes (shaking the basket halfway), until they are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside!
More tips for success-
- Ensure the carrots are in a single layer in your air fryer. Try not to overcrowd the air-fryer. I know waiting is the WORST but I promise making these air fryer carrot fries in batches is worth it!
- Eat them as soon as possible for best results! Over time they will loser their crispiness as they cool.
- Try your own seasoning blends! Cinnamon and honey or maple syrup would make a great sweet option!
Frequently asked questions
Can I use an oven to make these crispy carrot sticks?
This is a question I get asked with every air fryer recipe I post and the answer is......YES!
As with most of my air fryer recipes there is always a way to make them in the oven! The only difference is the cook time will vary slightly! For these crispy carrot fries I recommend, following the recipe as is, spreading the carrot sticks evenly on a prepared baking tray and roasting at 424 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes shaking the pan halfway through cooking. Tip: to get the carrot fries super crispy- try broiling them for a few minutes at the end!
I will note though they *MAY* not get as crispy as they would in the air fryer but I promise they will still taste good!
Can I use baby carrots?
YES you can. The cook time will vary slightly depending on the size of the carrots and wether you decide to cut them or not! For baby carrots thicker than ¼ inch I would recommend air frying for about 20 minutes, and for baby carrot thinner than ¼ inch I would try to air fry for about 12-15 minutes. However cook times will vary depending on your air fryer model!
What should I pair these with?
Honestly my favourite way to eat these air fryer carrot sticks is alone as a snack with the spicy sriracha mayo yogurt sauce.
However they also taste great as....
- a side dish at a potluck such as a holiday event or party
- a veggie addition to your favourite protein source. Kids LOVE them with chicken nuggets!
- as a topping on salads or 'nourish' bowls (they would taste great in this fall harvest bowl).
- an accompaniment to quesadillas, chicken, steak... really they go great with ANYTHING
How do I store and reheat these air fryer carrot sticks?
To store any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat any leftovers, air fry the carrots again at 400°F for about 5-7 minutes
More air fryer veggie recipes to love
I'm on a mission to convert vegetable haters into vegetable lovers one air fryer veggie recipe at a time. So if you enjoyed these carrots in air fryer you will LOVE my other vegetable recipes.
- lemon parm zucchini sticks
- eggplant parmesean
- spicy balsamic brussels sprouts
- garlic parmesean asparagus
- butternut squash home fries
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these air fryer carrot fries don't forget to snap a picture and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment below!
Air Fryer Carrot Fries
- 1 lb carrots (about 3 large carrots) peeled and cut into ¼ inch sticks
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- dried red pepper flakes to taste
- salt and black pepper to taste
Sriracha Yogurt Mayo
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (juice of ½ a lime)
- salt and black pepepr to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Peel and cut your carrots into ¼ inch sticks. It helps to cut the carrots into 2 inch pieces and then quarter them vertically.
- To a large mixing bowl add carrot sticks and cornstarch and toss to coat. Once fully coated, add olive oil and spices and toss again.
- Arrange carrot fries in a single layer along the bottom of your air fryer basket (this may need to be done in batches to not overcrowd the air fryer). Air fry for about 16-20 minutes shaking the basket halfway.
Sriracha yogurt mayo
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Adjust seasoning to desired taste.