Put it on burgers, salads, sandwiches- this healthy big mac sauce makes any dish 10x more craveable and delicious. It's higher in protein than the original, but just as tasty!
A good sauce is the key to pulling together any meal. The big mac sauce at McDonalds is so iconic that I knew I had to make my own version at home. This healthy big mac sauce is super quick to whip together, using ingredients you probably already have. I love it because it's a little higher in protein and lower in fat than the original, making it a great lightened-up option. Don't worry, it's still packed with flavour and the same creamy consistency you would expect.
It's the perfect condiment on my big mac casserole and burger bowls, but would honestly be delicious on anything. Dip your fries in it, slather it on sandwiches... once you have a jar of this made in the fridge, you'll find yourself reaching for it over and over!
- Greek yogurt
- Pickle juice
- Apple cider vinegar
Add all ingredients to a mason jar or medium bowl and whisk to combine.
Once sauce is well mixed, serve with your favourite burgers, salads or bowls!
Substitutions and Variations
To make dairy-free: Use an unsweetened plain dairy-free yogurt.
Switching up ingredients? Try these:
- Greek yogurt: I personally like using plain Greek yogurt for a lower fat, higher protein option in my dressings and sauces, but you can use any plain thick yogurt you like! Thinner yogurt will also work, however your sauce will be runnier. Alternatively, you can replace all the yogurt with mayonnaise.
- Mayonnaise: I always use a ratio of 3:1 yogurt to mayonnaise in my sauces to still get that creamy flavour as I find yogurt can be quite tart. However, if you want to skip the mayonnaise just add an additional 1 tablespoon of yogurt.
- Apple cider vinegar: If you're missing this, you can use white vinegar or add more pickle juice.
This healthy big mac sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. Make sure you shake well or mix before using.
For best results, shake or whisk well to ensure you get a smooth, creamy consistency!
Frequently Asked Questions
You don’t! There's nothing wrong with having the original sauce occassionally. As with all of my recipes, I love creating healthier versions of classic dishes and sauces to help individuals looking to eat a bit healthier without sacrificing flavour. The original McDonalds sauce tastes great, but it does contain quite a bit more fat than I would typically like adding to my meals! It's fun to enjoy once in a while, but my body doesn't feel the best having it regularly. This healthy big mac sauce is a great option to get enjoy the same flavors with more wholesome ingredients.
If you use dairy free yogurt- Yes, it is! All of the other ingredients in the sauce are naturally vegan. However, I always recommend checking your specific product's package information to make sure.
More Healthy Sauce Recipes
If you loved these sauces, check out these others that I love serving with my recipes!
P.S. I love seeing you make my recipes! If you make this healthy big mac sauce, don't forget to tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment on this recipe below letting me know how it turned out!
Healthy Big Mac Sauce
- 3 tablespoon thick yogurt e.g. plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon pickle juice
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar or medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Once sauce is well mixed, serve with your favourite burgers, salads or bowls!
Leave a Reply