Your search for the perfect chocolate chip cookie has ended. These olive oil chocolate chip cookies are perfectly moist, with a crisp outside and lots of pockets of melted chocolate. What more could you want from a cookie?
When I say my search for the perfect cookie was a long one I'm not lying. Similar to my quest for the perfect sweet potato brownie I made it my mission to create a "healthier" cookie that my brother would like. I tried probably 50 different recipes, each coming out with their own problem. They were either too dry, not sweet enough, or they just tasted too healthy. That is until I discovered olive oil and now they're PERFECT. I have given these cookies to so many of my friends and family members and they've all said they are their new favourite cookies. Don't believe me? Try for yourself!
Why make chocolate chip cookies with olive oil?
So you might be thinking ' why would I ever want to put olive oil in my cookies?.' To which I reply because I can! Kidding, but olive oil is seriously a secret weapon in baking. Not only is it a healthy fat packed with omega-3s. It also adds a rich flavour to baked goods allowing you to create moist cookies without all the added butter. It's no wonder olive oil is such a staple in so many cultures around the world. I swear these olive oil chocolate chip cookies are going to be your new favourite!
What other Ingredients do I need for these Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Olive Oil- Olive oil is the secret ingredient (not-so secret lol) to these olive oil chocolate chip cookies. I typically like to say that if the ingredient is in the title try to avoid substituting it! So on that note- I've never tested any other oil or fat source in these because they're just too good as is.
Flour- I use all-purpose flour for these because it's inexpensive, it's perfect for baked goods & we have a 10 lb bag of flour in my kitchen. I have never tested these cookies with any other types of flour. If you do decide to try let me know in the comments how it turns out!
Brown Sugar- Good old classic brown sugar. I love the rich caramel flavour brown sugar brings these cookies. It perfectly offsets the olive oil to bring just the right touch of sweetness. For a refined sugar free version you can also use coconut sugar!
Vanilla- LOTS of vanilla goes into this recipe. I truly believe the secret to a good chocolate chip cookie is extra vanilla. I don't know what it is but it just brings the extra je ne sais quoi any cookie needs.
Mix-ins- This is up to you! I've tried making a s'mores variation with graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate. I've also tries mixing white and dark chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless!
I love seeing you make my recipes! If you decide to make these olive oil chocolate chip cookies be sure to tag me on Instagram @nourishedbynic or leave a comment here letting me know how it was 🙂
Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 + ¼ cup all purpose flour *see notes for substitutions
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips I like to mix white chocolate and dark chocolate chips
- sprinkle of cinnamon
S'mores variation mix-ins
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup crushed graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt
- In a separate bowl, combine olive oil, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix until fully combined (i use a stand mixer, but a handheld mixer works just as good!)
- Once the dough is formed, add in the chocolate chips (and cinnamon if using) and mix again
- Roll dough into about 12 tablespoon sized balls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet (do not press down yet)
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until tops begin to turn golden brown
- Once done, remove from oven, and gently press down on the tops of the cookies to flattent them a little