Turkey Burrito Bowls are the ultimate easy lunch meal prep or weeknight dinner recipe. They are completely customizable and packed with lean protein, lots of fresh veggies and loaded with toppings! They are sure to be a meal everyone will love.
The ultimate easy meal
I've been making these easy naked burrito bowls for years. If there is ever a night when I have absolutely no idea what to make for dinner, 99% of the time it's going to end with these. There is just so much to love about this easy meal, I could talk for hours about why I love them so much. But to get to the point here are three reasons why I love these turkey taco bowls.
- They're the perfect balanced meal. As a Dietitian, these burrito bowls are the ultimate meal. They are not only packed with lean protein and fibre from your ground turkey, beans and rice, but they are also an amazing (and non-boring) way to get in your veggies! Plus they taste so good, you won't even realize you're eating a nutrient packed meal.
- They're completely customizable. Are you someone that finds yourself trying to figure out what to make with the random vegetables you have in your fridge? This recipe is for you! One of my favourite things about these easy bowls is you can customize them using absolutely whatever you have on hand. All you really need is a grain for the base, some vegetables of choice, a protein and your sauces and you are good to go!
- They are SO easy to make. Seriously, who doesn't love a meal that can be thrown together in 30 minutes? While your meat, rice and veggies are cooking, simply cut up your toppings and voila you have an easy dinner the whole family will love OR you have meals ready for the entire week!
Ingredients needed for turkey taco bowls
The best thing about these bowls is how easy to customize they are! Read below for substitution and ingredients recommendations!
Ground turkey- To make the perfect high protein lunch meal prep, I like to use lean ground turkey! However any ground meat or meat substitute will work, try beef, veal, chicken, pork or even "meatless" crumbles!
Black beans- For added protein, fibre and taste I add a can of black beans to these burrito bowls! I use canned black beans for convenience, however dried will work too just prepare them ahead of time according to package instructions.
Rice- Any rice works for these naked burrito bowls. I personally use jasmine rice because that's always my preference however try using wild rice, brown rice or even quinoa!
Vegetables-To stick with the "original" turkey taco bowl toppings I like to use sweet peppers (I use a combination or red and yellow for added colour), yellow onion and zucchini! However get creative- add some spinach or kale, or use whatever veggies you have on hand.
Spices- Salt, black pepper, cumin, paprika, and chili powder are the only spices you are going to need for these turkey burrito bowls!
How to make a naked burrito bowl
Making these turkey burrito bowls are incredibly simple!
Step one: Cook your base ingredients- Since your rice and veggies will probably take the longest, I always recommend starting with those. Follow the package instructions on your rice (my go-to is always 2 cups of boiling water to 1 cup of rice however it's always good to read the directions)!
To roast your vegetables, thinly slice your peppers, onion and zucchini and add them to a large baking sheet. I recommend lining your baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up! Drizzle your veggies with oil, sprinkle with spices and toss to coat. Bake your vegetables for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, shaking half way!
Step two: Turkey and topping time- While you wait for your rice and vegetables to cook, add oil to a large skillet pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add your ground turkey and spices and cook until browned and no longer pink. Crumble the meat using a spatula as it cooks so that you get small pieces.
After your turkey is done, set it aside and prepare the rest of your toppings. I like to lay out a 'topping bar' if I am making this for an easy family dinner.
Ground turkey burrito bowl topping ideas:
These turkey taco bowls are SO perfect for a last minute meal because they are SO customizable.
Some of my favourite toppings include:
- cheese: I love a cheddar or marble cheese in my burrito bowls
- lettuce or spinach for a leafy green base
- sauteed veggies I personally love zucchini, sweet peppers and onions but get creative!
- guacamole or chopped avocado: my favourite easy guac is made with 1 avocado, lime juice and a little salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder
- green onions for colour, flavour and presentation
- lime wedges for an added zest!
- black beans, serve them plain OR smash them in a pot with a few tablespoons of water, salt, black pepper and ground cumin for a super easy version of "refried beans" (smashed black beans)
- sour cream OR plain Greek yogurt
- crushed tortilla chips
- burrito sauce: my absolute favourite sauce is 2 parts plain yogurt or cottage cheese to 1 part BBQ sauce with a splash of lime juice and water to thin (seriously try it for yourself and thank me later!!)
More high protein lunch meal prep ideas
Love these ground turkey burrito bowls? Try these easy (non-boring) lunch ideas this week:
- smashed chickpea salad
- Greek feta meatballs
- easy chickpea and veggie fritters
- air fryer shrimp bowls
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these ground turkey burrito bowls don't forget to tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment below!
Ground turkey burrito bowl
For the turkey meat
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the veggies
- 2 medium bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini cut into sticks
- ½ large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked rice cooked according to package directions
- 4 cups lettuce or leafy greens of choice
- shredded cheese, salsa, guacamole, topped tomatoes, smashed black beans, lime, jalapenos, green onions, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, burrito sauce (see full text above) etc.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook your ground turkey- Add oil to a large skillet pan oven medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add the ground turkey and spices, crumble the meat using a spatula as it cooks so you get small bite sized taco meat pieces and continue cooking until the meat is browned and no longer pink in colour.
- Cook your base ingredients (rice and veggies)- follow the package instructions to cook your rice. To cook your vegetables, add your sliced onions, peppers and zucchini to a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with spices. Toss to coat. Bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes, shaking the tray halfway the ensure the veggies are cooked evenly on both sides.
- Prep your topping ingredients- While you are waiting for your turkey meat, rice and veggies to cook prepare your toppings.
- To construct your bowls- lay out all of the toppings, as well as your meat, rice and vegetables and allow everyone to customize their own bowls. OR for a great meal prep idea, portion out some of each ingredient into containers and store in the fridge for up to 4 days!