This air fried banana split went viral for a reason! It's warm, gooey and stuffed with your favourite toppings for an easy and healthy treat.
Bananas are a staple fruit because they're cheap and available pretty much any time of year. But how can we level up a basic banana into a drool-worthy dessert or snack?
This air fried banana split is SO yummy that you won't believe how simple it is. With gooey marshmallows, meltly chocolate and a subtle crunch from graham crumbs, it's all the best parts of a s'mores paired with the natural sweetness of a ripe banana. Once you drizzle it with peanut butter, it's pretty much all my favourite flavors at once!
I love whipping up an air fried banana for a quick, post dinner dessert. It satisfies my sweet tooth like nothing else, and is perfect for days that I don't have premade cookies or peanut butter cups on hand. So the next time you find yourself in a dessert pinch (happens to the best of us!), look no further! In just 15 minutes, you'll have the easiest, healthy snack in front of you. Air fried bananas have your back.
Why This Dietitian Loves This Recipe
Air fried bananas went viral for a reason!
- Satisfies sweet cravings. Air frying a banana caramelizes it in a way that brings out its natural sweetness like no other. Paired with toppings like marshmallows and chocolate, it's the best for those times you just need something sweet.
- Digestive support. Bananas contain soluble fibre to support your digestive system. They're also well tolerated and digested by most individuals, meaning they work well as a preworkout snack, or easy fuel when you feel sick.
- Energy boosting. This air fryer banana split has lots of energizing carbs, healthy fats and a little boost of protein. It's a great balanced snack to pick you up during that 3pm energy slump.
- Kid friendly. Your kids will LOVE this recipe, and it's also simple enough for them to help make (use discretion with the air fryer and knife). If they are still learning to like bananas, this banana split is another way to provide an exposure.
- Peanut butter
- Mini marshmallows
- Chocolate chips
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Greek yogurt
Use a sharp knife to slice the ends off of the bananas and cut a slit down lengthwise down the center of each banana. Make sure not to cut all the way through.
Spread about one tablespoon of peanut butter along the inside of the slit of each banana and stuff each banana with the half of the remaining toppings of choice.
Air fry at 400F for about 10 minutes, or until the bananas are fully brown and soft to the touch.
Drizzle with additional peanut butter and serve with yogurt or ice cream.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Swap the graham crackers and crumble your gluten-free cookie of choice. Make sure all other toppings are certified gluten-free.
To make dairy-free: Use dairy-free chocolate chips and yogurt.
To make vegan: Use dairy-free chocolate chips and yogurt. Ensure that your marshmallows are vegan and do not contain gelatin.
To make nut-free: Swap the peanut butter for sunflower seed butter, tahini, or another seed butter.
This air fried banana can be stuffed with any toppings of your choosing. Have fun and go crazy with the add-ins! Here are some other ideas:
- Classic banana split: Air fry your banana and top with ice cream and chopped peanuts
- PB and J: Add berries, chia jam and peanut butter
- Kitchen sink: Hunt through your cupboards and pick out whatever looks good. Think pretzels, M&Ms, chopped nuts, frozen berries... nothing is off limits!
- Salted caramel: Drizzle warm caramel and sprinkle with flakey salt
- Nutella: Drizzle warm Nutella and add chopped hazelnuts
Leave a comment with your favourite flavour combos!
- Air fryer
- Silicone air fryer liner (optional)
For best results, I recommend making these fresh. If you store them in the fridge they will get soggy and won't have the same taste.
As all air fryers are different, I recommend watching your bananas closely after 6 minutes. You want the banana peel to be dark brown in colour and the insides to be soft enough to eat with a spoon.
Frequently Asked Questions
I recommend fresh bananas as they will hold together better when slicing. I find spotty bananas can be a little too soft for this recipe. However if you have spotty bananas lying around, I recommend trying out my banana peanut butter oatmeal bars or banana carrot muffins.
I like to do it for two reasons: First, to make the bananas fit inside my air fryer better and secondly, to be heat-safe. As the ends of a banana do contain wood, I like to err on the side of caution just in case they were ever to overheat.
After slicing the banana, I recommend gently pressing it against a hard surface like a table to create more of a flat bottom. This helps it stand better! Another option is to place it in an oven safe dish.
I wouldn't use a green banana, as they are higher in resistant starch and significantly less sweet than a yellow banana. They won't attain the same gooey sweetness as a regular air fried banana.
I choose to keep the peel on because it makes it easier to stuff and holds the toppings in!
More Quick Dessert Recipes
Are you loving the air fryer or microwave desserts? Try these next:
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this air fried banana split, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Air Fried Banana Split
- 2 medium bananas
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup Greek yogurt for serving
- Use a sharp knife to slice the ends off of the bananas and cut a slit down lengthwise down the center of each banana. Make sure not to cut all the way through.
- Spread about one tablespoon of peanut butter along the inside of the slit of each banana and stuff each banana with the half of the remaining toppings of choice.
- Air fry at 400F for about 10 minutes, or until the bananas are fully brown and soft to the touch.
- Drizzle with additional peanut butter and serve with yogurt or ice cream.
Leave a Reply