We're leveling up a classic combo with my air fryer peanut butter banana roll ups! Packed with fibre and healthy fats, it's a nourishing after school snack for your kids.
Back to school season is coming, and that means SNACKS. Whether you're a parents looking for kid approved after school snacks or a university student in need of study fuel, I got you. Balanced snacks are important for everyone!
These peanut butter banana roll ups are a classic combo, but leveled up in the air fryer. Trust me on this one: the air fryer makes the outside crispy, while the banana inside gets soft, gooey and sweet. Dunked in a high protein yogurt dip and it's so satisfying.
Why This Recipe is Dietitian Approved
- Easy. When I want a snack, I want it fast. You can make this snack with just 5 minutes of prep!
- Omega-3 fats and fibre. I always encouraged picking at least two food groups for a balanced snack. These roll ups have hemp hearts for omega-3 healthy fats and a whole wheat tortilla for fibre.
- Kid friendly. Your kiddos will love these peanut butter banana bites for afternoon snacks. From toddlers to school age, this recipe is super kid friendly. Getting kids involved with the prep is an excellent way to build food skills and teach gentle nutrition from a young age.
- Whole wheat tortilla
- Natural peanut butter
- Hemp seeds
- Sea salt
- Melted chocolate
Preheat your air fryer to 375.
Lay your tortilla flat on a cutting board and spread an even layer of peanut butter on the entire surface of the tortilla. Don’t forget the edges!
Drizzle honey over the peanut butter and sprinkle with hemp seeds. Place the banana along one edge of the tortilla (with the curved edge aligning with the curved edge of the tortilla).
Tightly roll the banana up in the tortilla. Use a sharp knife to slice the banana roll up into 9 equal sized pieces.
Arrange pieces in a single layer in the basket of your air fryer and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake for about 8 minutes or until the tops are browned and the banana is soft.
Drizzle with melted peanut butter and sprinkle with sea salt if desired. Serve with yogurt dip.
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Use a gluten-free tortilla. It may help to warm your tortilla slightly so it rolls without ripping.
To make dairy-free: Use a dairy-free yogurt for the dip. Make sure your chocolate is dairy-free.
To make vegan: Follow the dairy-free swaps and swap honey for maple syrup.
To make nut-free: Swap peanut butter for sunflower seed butter, Granola Butter, or another nut-free spread of choice.
These roll ups are customizable. Try out other fillings:
- Berry chia jam
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
- Drizzle of caramel
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Diced strawberries
These peanut butter banana bites are best fresh. However, you can store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days, although I find the banana starts to get slightly soggy the longer you store them.
To reheat, place them back in the air fryer for about 5 minutes to get them warm and crispy.
For best results, ensure the peanut butter is spread all the way to the edges of the entire tortilla. This will help hold the banana bites together.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can! Just bake at 350F for about 10-12 minutes. Please note them will not get quite as crispy as they do in the air fryer.
No, you can 100% skip them if you don’t have them on hand. I like adding them for a boost of healthy fats and protein but they don’t change the measurement of the recipe at all!
No! You can easily enjoy these peanut butter banana roll ups uncooked.
More Healthy Snack Recipes
Looking for more balanced snacks?
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these peanut butter banana roll ups, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Air Fryer Peanut Butter Banana Roll Ups
- 1 x 10 inch whole wheat tortilla
- 2 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 medium banana peeled
- Cinnamon for sprinkling for sprinkling
- Sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- Melted chocolate for drizzling (optional)
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat your air fryer to 375.
- Lay your tortilla flat on a cutting board and spread an even layer of peanut butter on the entire surface of the tortilla ( don’t forget the edges)!
- Drizzle honey over the peanut butter and sprinkle with hemp seeds. Place the banana along one edge of the tortilla (with the curved edge aligning with the curved edge of the tortilla). Tightly roll the banana up in the tortilla.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the banana roll up into 9 equal sized pieces.
- Arrange pieces in a single layer in the basket of your air fryer and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for about 8 minutes or until the tops are browned and the banana is soft.
- Drizzle with melted peanut butter and sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
- Serve with yogurt dip outlined below.
- In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, cinnamon and maple syrup until fully combined. Adjust tastes as desired.