Watch out the classic PB & J just got an upgrade! This delicious peanut butter and jelly Quesadilla is ready in under 10 minutes, and is the perfect way to add some fruit into your life! Enjoy for the perfect balanced breakfast, snack or even dessert!
The peanut butter and jelly sandwich is probably one of the most iconic, well-loved sandwiches EVER. After seeing the viral Tiktok folded quesadilla EVERYWHERE online, I wanted to combine my love of the classic sandwich with my love of a good quesadilla (like my air fryer quesadilla). That's how this peanut butter and jelly quesadilla was created!
If you've been a fan of Nourished by Nic for a while, you know my love of breakfast. Whether it's overnight oats, breakfast burritos, omelettes, or baked oats I'm always looking for new fun recipes to try.
This lower sugar, fruit-filled, vegan breakfast quesadilla is the perfect way to add a little nostalgia and fun into your mornings (and it's a recipe even the kids will LOVE).
- Whole wheat tortillas- (I recommend using 10 inch tortillas to pack in the most toppings)
- Peanut butter- (both smooth or crunchy will work)- I typically use a natural peanut butter (made with just salt and peanuts to help minimize added sugars in this quesadilla)
- Hemp seeds- The perfect sneaky way to add in additional omega 3 healthy fats, protein and even some fibre (plus- you can't even taste them)
- Berries of choice - I like using raspberries or strawberries for that authentic PB & J taste
Spread a layer of peanut butter on exactly half of the tortilla. Sprinkle with hemp seeds. Use a sharp knife to cut a single line from the center to the edge of the tortilla (dividing the peanut butter into two equal quarters).
Imagine the tortilla rest of the tortilla being divided into two equal sections (see photo above). Arrange sliced bananas on one quarter of the tortilla and smashed berries into the final quarter.
To fold the quesadilla-Arrange the tortilla so that the peanut butter half of the tortilla is closest to you (this makes explaining the folding process easier) - Flip the bottom left peanut butter quarter up ontop of the bananas.
Continue folding the quesadilla in a clockwise direction until it is folded into a compact triangle.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil or coconut oil. When the skillet is hot, add the quesadilla, flipping once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Make yogurt dipping sauce by combining yogurt, cinnamon and maple syrup and serve!
Substitutions and Variations
For a gluten-free option: Use a gluten-free tortilla/ wrap as the base of your Quesadilla!
To make vegan: This pb&J Quesadilla is already naturally gluten free (yay)!
For a peanut free option: Swap the peanut butter for sunflower seed butter!For
To use jam instead of berries: Don't have any berries on hand- don't worry! You can easily swap the berries with 2 tablespoon of jam of your choice (I always recommend looking for a lower-sugar jam)!
I like to get creative with my breakfast quesadillas and swapping some of the toppings! Here are my favourite variations:
- Any nut butter can be used in place of the peanut butter- try cashew or almond butter for a slightly different flavour!
- Try using different types of berries (or try a mix of a few different types) or even my 3-ingredient chia jam!
- Turn this into a sweet treat by adding some white chocolate or milk chocolate chips into the filling!
- To make your Quesadilla even fancier top with some plain Greek yogurt, powdered sugar, whipped cream or even a drizzle of honey or maple syrup for the ultimate treat!
For this recipe you will need:
That's it!! It's a real low-maintenance recipe!
For best results I recommend eating this pb&J Quesadilla right away! You are able to store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. However I find after cooking, the tortilla will get soggy in the fridge (plus you won't be able to wait to eat it)!
If you are air frying this peanut butter and jelly Quesadilla I recommend checking on it every few minutes. I've noticed with my air fryer sometimes the fan is too strong and will blow up the top of the tortilla. So when that happens, press it down whenever that happens!
Another option is using toothpicks to help secure the tortilla flaps together (just make sure you remove them before you dig in)!
Frequently Asked Questions
No! I will note that if you use frozen berries you should defrost them first and (try) to strain out the excess water or else your Quesadilla may be too soggy.
No you do not. I like adding them in because they are a great, easy way to add in some extra nutrients (and as a dietitian I love doing this whenever possible). However, if you don't have any on hand don't worry they won't effect the taste of the recipe at all if you leave them out!
Yes! The best things about this peanut butter and jelly Quesadilla is that it is perfectly balanced with fibre, fruit and healthy fats making it a great option for breakfast, snack or even dessert!
I like making a little easy yogurt fruit dip with just plain Greek yogurt (or blended cottage cheese), a little cinnamon and a touch of maple syrup) as an easy high protein dipping sauce for this Quesadilla!
More Easy Fruit-Filled Recipes
- Oatmeal cookie cups (with yogurt and berries)
- Berry crumble oatmeal bars
- Breakfast banana splits
- Greek yogurt cheesecake dip (with berries)
- Chunky monkey yogurt bark
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this Peanut Butter and Jelly Quesadilla don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Quesadilla
- Non stick cooking spray or olive oil
- 1 10 inch whole grain tortilla
- ½ medium banana sliced
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter
- ¼ cup berries of choice sliced (or smashed)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
Easy Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil or coconut oil.
- Spread a layer of peanut butter on exactly half of the tortilla. Sprinkle with hemp seeds.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a single line from the center to the edge of the tortilla (dividing the peanut butter into two equal quarters).
- Imagine the tortilla rest of the tortilla being divided into two equal sections (see photo above). Arrange sliced bananas on one quarter of the tortilla and smashed berries into the final quarter.
- To fold the quesadilla-Arrange the tortilla so that the peanut butter half of the tortilla is closest to you (this makes explaining the folding process easier) - Flip the bottom left peanut butter quarter up on top of the bananas. Continue folding the quesadilla in a clockwise direction until it is folded into a compact triangle.
- When the skillet is hot, add the quesadilla, flipping once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
To air fry your quesadilla-
- Place your quesadilla in the basket of your air fryer and bake at 390°F for about 5 minutes per side (10 minutes total).
Leave a Reply