Cottage cheese peach toast is the perfect 5 minute summer breakfast. Crispy bread loaded with protein packed cottage cheese, fresh juicy peaches and drizzled with hot honey. Fresh and flavourful!
Breakfast is by far my favourite meal of the day. As much as I love a good oatmeal based recipe whether it's overnight oats, baked oats or even blended oats. Sometimes I just need something a little more unique in the morning.
That's where this peach toast comes in. Inspired by my very favourite savory cottage cheese toast, this protein packed breakfast toast is a sweet variation featuring the best summer fruit: peaches.
If I had to choose one thing about summer I loved the most my answer will always be PEACH SEASON. For an easy dessert I have been loving this easy air fryer peach crumble but I knew I wanted to create a way to turn peaches into a balanced, quick and easy breakfast option.
This 5 minute peach toast is my solution. This is my take on the ricotta 'peaches and cream' toast that is packed with fiber, protein and the great taste of juicy peaches I love!
Why This Dietitian Loves This Recipe
- Balanced and healthy breakfast. Cottage cheese for protein, bread and peaches for fiber and carbohydrates, and hemp seeds for healthy fats (and a little extra protein). This peach toast is a great balanced breakfast option to keep you feeling full and satisfied through your morning.
- Uses seasonal produce. There is truly nothing better than a fresh peach in August. Making use of seasonal produce is a great way to save money, shop more sustainably and get fresher produce!
- Ready in 5 minutes. One of the biggest reasons for skipping breakfast is lack of time- which is why I'm making it my mission to bring you breakfasts like this that are ready in 5 minutes!
- Vegetarian option- A a dietitian I am always asked for high protein vegetarian options that are quick and easy, so this cottage cheese toast is such a great option!
- Fresh sliced bread of choice (option to use whole wheat for added fiber)
- Fresh peaches
- Cottage cheese (any fat percentage will work)
- Hot honey (Halifax Hot Honey is my favourite)
- Mint leaves
- Hemp seeds
Toast both slices of bread until golden brown. Add ¼ cup of cottage cheese to each slice of toast.
Add a thin layer of peaches on top of the cottage cheese (½ peach per slice).
Sprinkle half of the hemp seeds on each slice of toast. Top with fresh mint and broccoli sprouts if using and drizzle with hot honey!
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Use gluten free bread.
To make dairy-free: Unfortunately I still have yet to find a dairy free cottage cheese option however you can try a dairy free yogurt as the base instead!
To make nut-free: This recipe is naturally nut-free.
Customize your peach toast by adding any of the following:
- balsamic glaze or drizzle
- dried chili flakes for added spice
- fresh mint leaves for some added fresh flavour
- grill your peaches prior to adding them or try baking your entire toast once assembled!
I highly recommend eating this peach toast when fresh! If made ahead of time the cottage cheese will cause the toast to get soggy. However since this is a 5 minute recipe it still makes an amazing option for a quick morning breakfast!
If you aren't a fan of the texture of cottage cheese, add your cottage cheese to a blender and blend until nice and smooth. This will create a silky, smooth whipped topping you can easily add to your toast.
Frequently Asked Questions
As a dietitian I always recommend trying to purchase whole wheat bread when possible for added fiber. Recently I've really been loving the options at Silver Hills Bakery. However sometimes, freshly baked farmers market bread is too good to turn down.
Yes! Toast can definitely be a great addition to a healthy breakfast. Toast is full of fiber and carbohydrates to provide us with energy throughout the day. For a balanced meal I always recommend adding healthy fats and protein (like the cottage cheese and hemp seeds)!
This peach toast makes a wonderful snack option if you are looking for a sweet option made with fiber, protein and fat!
Yes you can however I would highly recommend cottage cheese if it is available to you. Although Greek yogurt does have a high protein content I find it a bit more bitter than cottage cheese!
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
You deserve a quick, balanced breakfast!
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make this cottage cheese peach toast, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
High Protein Peach Toast
- 2 slices bread of choice
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 medium peach thinly sliced
- 1.5 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon hot honey
- mint leaves optional
- broccoli sprouts optional
- Toast both slices of bread until golden brown. Add ¼ cup of cottage cheese to each slice of toast.
- Add a thin layer of peaches on top of the cottage cheese (½ peach per slice).
- Sprinkle half of the hemp seeds on each slice of toast. Top with fresh mint and broccoli sprouts if using and drizzle with hot honey!