These lemon cheesecake overnight oats are the perfect way to have dessert for breakfast. Protein packed lemon overnight oats topped with a creamy cheesecake layer, it doesn't get better than this!
I feel like I slept through the overnight oat craze. We all know I am big fan of oats for breakfast. I have one pan baked oats, blended oats and even microwave oats. However it took me a while to hop on the overnight oat train. There was something about cold oats that didn't sit right with me. That is until I tried THESE lemon cheesecake overnight oats.
I am a HUGE fan of lemon treats like my lemon thumbprint cookies and lemon energy balls in the warmer months so when I decided to combine my love of lemon with overnight oats I knew it was goign to be a hit!
I quickly realized that to make overnight oats taste good, it all comes down to the toppings and mix-ins. These lemon cheesecake overnight oats were one of the very first overnight oat recipes I tried and now it's safe to say I am hooked!
Why this Dietitian Loves this recipe:
- Perfect for meal prep- These lemon cheesecake overnight oats require ZERO cooking, so they are the perfect meal prep option for someone with a busy lifestyle!
- Protein packed- Thanks to the protein powder, Greek yogurt and chia seeds these are not only a tasy breakfast but they are also a great balanced option!
- Full of fibre- It's no secret oats contain lots of fibre. But thanks to the added chia seeds these overnight oats contain 9 gram of fibre!
- Graham crackers
- Milk of choice
- Oats (quick, minute or rolled all will work in this recipe)
- Chia seeds
- Vanilla Protein Powder
- Vanilla extract
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Light Cream Cheese (optional) for a more cheesecake taste and thicker texture)
- Lemon juice and Zest
Substitutions and Variations
To make gluten-free: Use certified gluten-free oats.
To make vegan: Use a dairy-free yogurt and cream cheese in the topping.
- Protein powder: Feel free to remove the protein powder if you do not wish to add it. I find the oats are a little less sweet without the protein but it shouldn't be too noticeable!
- Honey: Swap for another liquid sweetener of choice like date syrup or maple syrup.
- Chia seeds: Swap for flax seed.
- Greek yogurt: Not a fan of plain yogurt? Use vanilla yogurt and skip the honey!
- Cream cheese: Can easily be left out of the recipe if you don't desire to add it!
These lemon cheesecake overnight oats will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container or mason jar. Please note, the liquid from the yogurt may separate slightly after a day, so if you are making a large batch I recommend adding the yogurt the morning of!
Don't skip the lemon zest! I know lemon zest can be a bit of a hassel, however it is a KEY ingredient in these lemon cheesecake overnight oats! Without them you will not get the same fresh lemon flavour.
Frequently Asked Questions
My personal favourite vanilla protein is the smooth vanilla one from Nuzest! It's a great plant based option I use in all my protein powder recipes! You can use the code NOURISHEDBYNIC for 15% off!
Yes, of course. In the recipe card below, you can easily select different serving sizes and the recipe will automatically adjust.
A very popular question when it comes to oatmeal brekafast recipes recently! However as these oats are paired with fibre and protein from the chia seeds, and protein from the protein powder and Greek yogurt.this helps help stabilize the breakdown of carbohydrates, and keep your blood sugar steady!
More Overnight Oat Recipes
For a great meal prep breakfast try some of my other overnight oat recipes:
PS. I love seeing my recipes in action! If you decide to make these lemon cheesecake overnight oats, don't forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram- @nourishedbynic or leave a comment and rating below letting me know how you liked it!
Lemon Cheesecake Overnight Oats
- 2 graham crackers crushed
- 1 teaspoon milk of choice
- ½ cup oats quick, minute or rolled all work
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon vanilla protein powder optional
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest about half of one medium lemon
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon light cream cheese optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice about half of one medium lemon
- In 3 separate bowls, combine the ingredients for each of the three layers.
- In a mason jar or container, press the crust mixture into the bottom of the jar.
- Layer with oat mixture and top with the cheesecake topping. Cover and place in the fridge overnight. In the morning top with additional crushed graham cracker crumbs and lemon zest if desired.
These are my new favourite breakfast- the perfect amount of sweet and creamy!
5 star recipe. A life saver. Thank you Nic.